Got Knocked Off :(

vish22
vish22 Posts: 16
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Hey,

So i cycle most days to St Pauls and been doing it since last summer. On Monday I was going and there was a line of traffic queuing. Anyway I was going along filtering on the outside of traffic and coming up to a black cab, the guy indicated then started turning straight away to do a U-Turn. There was no time for me to react and next thing I knew I was lying on the other side of the road (luckily no on-coming cars). The driver was not very apologetic. Anyway after arguing with him I got his name, licence plate and phone number. The HUGE mistake I made was not getting any witnesses. I know that's the first thing I should have looked for but I wasn't thinking straight and was very flustered at the time. I feel okay(ish). Got bruising on my backside, on the side of my knee and neck. Going to get it checked out now at a Hospital.

I have a boardman road comp. Obviously there was damage to my bike. So all this happened on Monday. I then called him up later on and he said it was my fault and is refusing to give me his insurance details. I did a self report to the police and am waiting to hear back. So I have a couple of questions:

1) How bad is it that I don't have a witness?

2) Has anyone used one of these no win no claim companies? They seem to be everywhere but can anyone recommend a good one?

3) How much help do you think the police will be? It is the City of London and not MET.

4) Is there anything else I did that would work against me?

Cheers for any help

Comments

• 4) Is there anything else I did that would work against me?

Like, posting on public forums?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • vish22
    Well I am asking for advice..... How is that harming my defence?
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Havent had to use it but look at the below link

https://www.lfgss.com/thread4213.html
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    4) Is there anything else I did that would work against me?

Like, posting on public forums?

OP hasn't posted any personal details or admitted liability so why?

I'd say try and find a witness. With the many cycling forums kicking about (LGFSS, Cyclechat, YACF) maybe somebody saw something. Also if there's any CCTV footage you can obtain. Without either of these as evidence, your chances aren't high, but you can try contacting a cycling specific solicitor (search this forum) for further advice and how to proceed.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    There are soooo many threads like this asking for advice. There is also a sticky thread about what to do if knocked off/involved in an accident. Alternatively do a search. Search is your friend.

Btw why didn't you call the police? As the moton is required to give his name and insurance details. He is also required to notify the police within 24 hrs if he has been involved in a collision where there has been injury to another party. As a cyclist you are not, but you have done so anyway. You can't be sure that the information he has given you is correct or that he is who he maintains he is. IMHO always call the police where ever possible.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • vish22 wrote:
    I was going along filtering on the outside of traffic and coming up to a black cab, the guy indicated then started turning straight away to do a U-Turn.
    This is something when filtering on the right you ALWAYS have to look out for , whether someone doing a right turn or in your case a u-turn.. He will say he looked, signalled, maneuvered , you'll have to agree that he signalled as you mention it.
    It's just "one of those things" that you'll have to get used to.
    When filtering right be VERY aware esp when cars are stationary , if possible leave a big gap if safe to do so.
    When filtering left be very careful when approaching side roads.

By the way , how did you continue your journey ?
  • Anyone who is injured in a road traffic collision should call the police (not on the 999 number) and request their attendance. And take 'injuries' to include bruising and skin left on road surface.
  • vish22
    cheers for all the help/advice.

It happened in quite a public place so am thinking of just standing on the road side in the morning with a sign appealing for witnesses. Prob worth a shot right? It happened yesterday so if I do this from Wed-Friday for 15 mins or around the time of the incident I'd hope someone would have seen something.

Antlaff - cheers for the link. A lot of that article tells you what to do in the event of it happening but it doesn't make me feel very good to see I did none of that.

Kelsen - Yes I went back and had a look and unforunately there is no CCTV on that specific spot. I also looked at the surrounding buildings and asked the security to have a look but no luck. As I said above, I might just stand on the side of the road with a sign. I will look for a cycle specific solicitor. Cheers.

Dilemna - I will do a search and have a look. I got up off the road and felt fine. I also had his licence plate so thought anything can be traced back to that as he was a cabby. Also to be perfectly honest I just wasn't thinking straight. It's been drilled into me to always look for witnesses in these events but I somehow forgot. Don't ask how as it's my biggest regret.

Fatherted - I also ride motorcycles so am acutely aware of the dangers. However I didn't have a chance at all. By the time he started the manoeuvre there was nothing I could do to avoid it.

Berk - I wasn't aware of that.

Luckily I was within walking distance of the end of my journey so just walked it to work.

Cheers for all the help. I think I will appeal for witnesses this week and see where I get. Then next week try and get some help from cycle specific solicitors.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Anyone who is injured in a road traffic collision should call the police (not on the 999 number)

Yep, all you have to do is make sure you memorise all the local police station numbers you are likely to pass by on your bike. Me, I'd ring 999.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    London cab drivers are a nightmare for that. The number of times I have almost been taken out by a cab driver suddenly chucking a U turn without notice, possibly indicating whilst they swing the wheel. Another thing they do is pull hard in to the side of the road to pick up a fare without indication. Good luck with getting this sorted...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Anyone who is injured in a road traffic collision should call the police (not on the 999 number)

Yep, all you have to do is make sure you memorise all the local police station numbers you are likely to pass by on your bike. Me, I'd ring 999.

there is a central number for the Met : 03001231212 - worth having in your phone