gears on rear triangle

synthasandwich
synthasandwich Posts: 38
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I'm basically trying to build a cheap wheel true stand from any cheap bike I can get my hands on...... but...... I have an 8 speed cassette on the back so would I be right in saying a scratty bike with 6 speed on the back will have a narrower triangle ( and be useless to me. )

Thanks for reading

Mark B

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct but you could bend and reset the frame.

Sheldon covers setting frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Bud for the quick reply, I am watching a few options on ebay.

there is a very lucrative market in bike stands and perhaps soon a lucrative market in scratty bikes.

thanks again

Marky B
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH I would buy the Wheel pro wheel building book (it is a download) it has very good guides in the back for building all the wheel building tools you will need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That Sheldon Brown site is very handy..... I hope others new to the tech side of things check it out, without you mentioning it I wouldn't have dared bend the frame but it seems common sense.

Not sure I will be as brave in wheel lacing and building so the download is on pause but have been watching a few you tube vids on truing and had a bit of a bash on my front fork.

The local bike shop quoted me £17 to true a rear wheel, he must be saving up for the new swish true stand he bought.

Cheers again,

Mark
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't have a wheel jig, and since the days of V-brakes (on my bikes) is long gone. I now use a chinagraph pen braced against the swingarm or fork to find high and lowspots when truing.
    Simple, but effective.
  • Cheers Mr Mcgee,

Definitely miss my V brakes for truing, cheers for the tip. I'm hoping to win an old swing arm with V bosses on. Fingers crossed.

thanks again bud

Mark