lights

Pigtail
Pigtail Posts: 424
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Hi folks - first venture into the commuting section.

I'm away to start commuting though, don't laugh, I have a total of 2 miles to do. Its mostly uphill on the way there with a climb of about 400 feet. All in an urban area with street lighting.

I am going to be using my MTB. A hardtail Carrera with an alloy frame.

Anyway looking out waterproof trousers, fitting mudguards etc and I'm a bit concerned about lights.

I have a Cateye 3 led one which was fastened to the seatpost, but has had to be moved to make way for the mudguard. I've now placed it on the offside seatstay, but I'm a bit concerned about visibility from the other side. I'm wondering about a rear helmet light. Do any of you use one?

I'm looking for one that would be readily removable when not needed.

Any other suggestions also welcome. I have a hi-vis vest, but as I'll be using a back pack anything attached to the vest will have the risk of being obscured.

James

Comments

• tesco's have little white and red lights you can simply velcro on. it was 3 for 2 the other month (only £4 odd each) so i have 2 red and a front white one on my bonce and feel a lot safer....
    you can also have then on constand and 2 different flash settings
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reflecting cars headlights usually works better than lights to be honest, so reflective (red) tape on helmet/seat stays/backpack will all help no end.

Most cars will be further out to the right than you, so your seatstay mounted light should be OK, but usually if you use a 'crud catcher' type rear guard putting the light right up under the saddle will get it above that, my daughter clips hers to her small saddle bag.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Wlecome to the SCR club. You mean you can't fit a mudguard mount and light on the seatpost? Are you really really short or have you got your saddle too low? It's the best place for a good rear light. I don't use a helmet light so can't help there.

Also do you mean a removable helmet light or a normal one? If you mean a normal one, get to Edinburgh cycle and get a revolution vision 180 rear, it's pretty good and quickly removable.

Other than that, 2 miles isn't far but it'd be as well to at least make sure everything on the bike is working as well as it can, give it a routine check every weekend etc. It'll probably take two minutes but should prevent any majorly annoying surprises, Hi-Viz is useful but no substitute for decent lights if there aren't an abundance of cars.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    +1 for Tesco velcro mounted lights, though they're not terrifically bright.

Reflective bands on your arms and legs helps too.
  • Pigtail
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Wlecome to the SCR club. You mean you can't fit a mudguard mount and light on the seatpost? Are you really really short or have you got your saddle too low? It's the best place for a good rear light. I don't use a helmet light so can't help there.

Thank you. I've cycled a few times recently when the mood took me - but now I have to every day as I have just sold my car!

I'm not really short - I think I may just have bought a rather stupid mudguard.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-defender-rear-mudguard/

It goes right at the top of the seatpost and obscures the bit below it. It appears to provide good coverage for stopping water though.

James
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I've got an SKS mudguard that's almost identical, yet there's still room for a light... Have you got it nice and close to the tyre? That should give you more room on the post, and will make it work better, probably.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Entry-level hardtails usually have threaded eyelets for luggage rack and bolt-on mudguards.
    Unfortunately you cant get a set of mudguards:bolt-on rear/clip-on front to suit these common bikes (Come on Bike Industry, get with the program).
    A rear bolt-on style will free up your seatpost.
    Mounting a lamp on the seatstay is not such a good idea as you have figured out.

You can fit a rear luggage rack with a lamp bracket at the back.

You will benefit from switching to slick tyres.

My waterproof over-trousers are Montane Atomic DT. Nice fit and good material.
    All w/p pants drain into your shoes. I use Sealskinz socks to stay dry.

I fitted a square of retro-reflective material to my backpack. You can also mount a lamp on them.
  • The Rookie
    Even with that topeak you should normally have room for a light above it unless your frame is on the large side for you....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get a half decent head torch. If you look driver's in the eye with it a junctions they will see you. Much safer. Also handy if you need to fix the bike or even just look down to see which gear you're in.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I use minora space grips on my bikes large size will take four lights, two each side = 8 rear lights but i find four lights enough + one on the saddlebag
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Pigtail
    Thanks for all the advice folks.

MichaelW I think you may well be right, maybe I should have chosen a 'proper' mudguard. I'm pretty sure I have a rear bike rack somewhere, I'll dig it out at the weekend and try it then.

I don't think my bike is too big a frame, but the mudguard does take a lot of room.

In fact I've just taken a photo to show it. Ignore the fence - it is my neighbour's - honestly!

IMG_6372.jpg

James
  • The Rookie
    Lower the mount by about 2" and tip the tail of the guard up slightly to the same tyre clearance and you'll have room for a light.

Selle Italia saddle? At least it looks very similar to the one on the Doris bike.

On my commuter I use a rack with a platform and what used to be called a racing mudguard mounted back to front to protect the back of the seatube http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... ber003.jpg

Simon
  • Pigtail
    Thanks - that seems like a plan. I'll try to get it down a bit.

I've no idea about the saddle. The bike is a Carrera Vulcan - about 6 years old. It's bog standard apart from tyres and tubes.

James
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    If you have to make a choice between a mudguard and a rear light, the mudguard should be the first thing to go. Especially since you're thinking about getting waterproof trousers.
  • Pigtail
    I'm kind of hoping for both!

I've already bought waterproof trousers, but I'm not sure how often I'll wear them. Certainly if it is raining, but not with just some surface water.

You can just about see the light on the seatstay in the photo - behind the brake caliper.

I have tried moving the mudguard down a bit - and got an extra inch or so, but I still think the light would be partially obscured by the saddle. More lights and reflective panels are definitely an option.

James
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    If there is a poundland near you they are doing really good rear lights. They come with a mount plus you can fit them to the back of your helmet. They also do front lights but they are not such good quality. I've been through four of them - one didn't work at all, one eats batteries when off and one needed the internal wires soldering. If you get one and you are lucky enough that it works you can attach it to the front of your helmet with elastic bands.
  • Pigtail wrote:
    Hi folks - first venture into the commuting section.

I'm wondering about a rear helmet light. Do any of you use one?

I'm looking for one that would be readily removable when not needed.

James

Have you seen my page :?:

http://sirpatrickmooresales.co.uk/Ourpage.aspx

My setup has changed and I now have 5 rear RSPs
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html