Chamois Cream anyone?

Va Va Boom
Va Va Boom Posts: 47
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

Does everyone use chamois cream and if so does it work? I dont use it at the minute but guys i cycle with do. I have noticed that after about 35-40 miles my back side does start to hurt. Will it really help?

If you are using it is there any type / make that you would recommend?

Thanks for your feedback.
fellow cyclists please visit - www.justgiving.com/markfaloon

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I've never used it myself and seem to be OK upto my longest (so far) ride of 60 miles. I've kind of taken the approach that if I can avoid using it I will naturally "harden up" and not need to. A bit like gradually increasing speed or distance. However, this may be a dangerous approach that will come back and bite me :?

Without wishing to hijack your thread... can I ask a supplementary question... can the cream be used in conjunction with non-chamois pads?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use it any ride over about 20 miles and find it helps but it won't turn crappy shorts into comfy shorts. It's only like £10 a tub so my advice would be to try it and see...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ^^ wot he said. I would probably add that it seems to be of more value in the summer (what with the sweating and all that).
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Never done a controlled test i.e. the same ride with chamois cream and without.

Popular brands are Assos (I have a tub but not used it yet), Udderly Smooth (cheaper for a larger tub - I thought it was fine if a little thin in consistency), or a much cheaper option is Sudocreme (as used on babies' bums, but is quite thick and may not lubricate as well as the others, though I haven't had any problems)
  • My shorts shouldnt be a problem....i forked out £150 on a pair of Assos Mille!

Think ill buy a tub if its only a tenner. Ill post back once ive had a few rides with my cream covered buttocks and let you know if there is any difference!
  • I tend to use it as after a few long rides close together I notice the difference if I do not use any. I have only used Udderly Smooth and think its a pretty good product to use & in the large tub quite a cheap option though there are lots of others ones out there.

I went to a bike show recently and was given lots of little tester pots from different brands including Rapha & Assos but the only difference I could tell was there thickness of the cream and also the smell of the cream.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've recently had my first experience of Assos shorts and cream and was very impressed.
    It may well have just been the great pad in the shorts but a noticeable difference in comfort.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've just got in from a 205km (127.5 mile) Audax, no cream, wasn't a problem, I wonder if I should try some just to see what difference it makes........
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Philby wrote:
    Never done a controlled test i.e. the same ride with chamois cream and without.
    Wouldn't a better controlled test be to use chamois cream just on one cheek? :D

To the OP, I never ride without. Preferred brand is Paceline Butt'r.
  • Va Va Boom wrote:
    My shorts shouldnt be a problem....i forked out £150 on a pair of Assos Mille! !

But will the cream bugger your shorts up over time? Assuming we are mostly washing at 30degC and using only a non-bio, gentle detergent.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've used it for about 4 years now.
    I don't really use it on my @ss cheeks I use it more around my groin.Its mainly to stop the chaffing.
    I started off using Assos until they changed the formula, it used to feel very cooling.I then found Udderly smooth on Wiggle.Twice as much and half the price.I actually prefer Udderly smooth as its anti chaffing properties feel far better than Assos.
    So substitute for good shorts and the right saddle.
  • Assos cream is my choice, cooling and anti chafe. It also has anti bacterial properties which will help prevent saddle sores, which are no fun at all. Not sure sudcreme is a good idea. As it is mainly zinc oxide to form a barrier and protect babies broken down skin from urine faeces etc.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Va Va Boom wrote:
    My shorts shouldnt be a problem....i forked out £150 on a pair of Assos Mille! !

But will the cream bugger your shorts up over time? Assuming we are mostly washing at 30degC and using only a non-bio, gentle detergent.

Can you use it with non-chamois pads?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    my back side does start to hurt

Depends what you mean by hurt. Achey and numb - it wont help. It might reduce any sorenes from chafing. Chammy cream was important years ago when pads were made of chaois leather which dried out and became like sandpaper. Personally I have not found that I need it with modern pads; in fact the only time I have had a bum rash was the one time that I tried Assos cream becouse so many people seem to rate it.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Tried the old Pro`s trick of using beefsteak down the shorts-until the local whippet got a whiff,now Im Cav`s new lead out man. :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    VA VA BOOM... Did you not get a small tub of cream with your shorts? Bought some milles at christmas and got a little tub of cream a little bottle of detergent and a wash bag with mine.

Surely they wouldnt make a product they supply with there shorts that would knacker the shamois?
  • @ EX DH, yeah I did get a mini pot but havent used it. I think i'll try the udderly smooth stuff from wiggle. It seems to get alot of love on this thread.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Va Va Boom wrote:
    @ EX DH, yeah I did get a mini pot but havent used it. I think i'll try the udderly smooth stuff from wiggle. It seems to get alot of love on this thread.

the assos is better
  • Assos
  • vaseline with aloe vera
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    edited February 2011
    I use the Assos stuff, would recommend.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets