Bike sizing: Should I change my stem?

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
I read somewhere recently (probably in What Moutain Bike) that if you place your elbow on the tip of your saddle, then your longest finger should be half way along your stem.

My Boardman has a 100mm stem and my fingers barely go up the stem. Should I replace this for a shorter stem? What would be the advantage/differences?
Should I be looking at a 70mm or maybe a 50mm?
stem2.JPG

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• How does the bike feel when you're riding it?
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've never heard that one applied to mountain bikes. There's a lot of leeway in mountain bikes, for personal preference, and preferred "feel".
    As long as you're not too scrunched up, or too stretched out, it's your choice.
    There are extreme scenarios, however. Say, for example, you were a 5'11" rider on a children's 16" frame. That's just daft, and is going to cause problems in the long run.
  • d3matt
    How does the bike feel when you're riding it?

It feels ok, but I've not got anything to compare it too. I've not ridden for many years. Then brought this bike and therefore got used to it. I'm now getting more serious and have started upgrading components and trying to improve it and have the best I can get with what I've got.
    If a shorter stem will improve my posture and ride position, then I'll change it.

• http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27534

If you can wait til March, at £22 it won't break the bank and you can try something like a 70mm stem to see how you like it. Or you could put up a Wanted post in the classifieds, should be able to get something similar for about £12-15 to try out.

Alternatively, try dropping the stem down on the steerer and moving some of the spacers above it to alter your riding position and see how it feels. You'll soon know if you like the change or not. :)
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it feels ok, leave it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    What I would do is get a real cheap second hand stem to try out. Should be able to pick one up for a fiver and only a 10 minute job to fit.
  • You could try moving your seat foward a-bit & see if it feels any better
  • d3matt
    Thanks for all your sensible advice.
    Well, I did the not so sensible thing and brought a new 70mm Ritchey WCS stem, after reading the recent What Mountain Bike review, where the Ritchey stem came out tops. I got one from an eBay retailer at £39.95 delivered - much better than the £68 CRC price!
    The new stem has made quite a remarkable difference and much more than I was expecting. So far all good.

• d3matt
    Thanks for all your sensible advice.
    Well, I did the not so sensible thing and brought a new 70mm Ritchey WCS stem, after reading the recent What Mountain Bike review, where the Ritchey stem came out tops. I got one from an eBay retailer at £39.95 delivered - much better than the £68 CRC price!
    The new stem has made quite a remarkable difference and much more than I was expecting. So far all good.