My legs hurt :(

2low
2low Posts: 22
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Anybody got any remedies/potions/tips?

Comments

• Lion bar flavoured protien shake straight after the ride - my legs still hurt but it does taste good!
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Recovery drink.
    Stretch.
    Massage.
    Hot bath.
    Massage.
    Stretch.

In that order. Sometimes I'll do 20 minutes of easy spinning after the first massage too.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Self massage?

OP - you may be pushing too big a gear? There is that temptation, but try to spin a bit more.

When I jsut got my road bike I kept going for high gears - ones I did not have on the MTB. Then when my legs were feeling tired/achy I was told by to spin a bit more - go into easier gears even when you can be pushing a gear or two higher - of course though, as long as it does not feel excessively spinny or uncomfortable.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    Am I missing something but is it not the point to make your legs hurt so you get better and go faster next time. Tried darts or snooker? :lol:
  • Valy
    fearby wrote:
    Am I missing something but is it not the point to make your legs hurt so you get better and go faster next time. Tried darts or snooker? :lol:

I thin he means after riding etc.
  • If you work your legs hard they will hurt !! :lol:

But to help... you can add a "cool down" to the end of your ride.
    10 minutes from the end of your ride, mentally end the ride, and spin @ low intensity.

You can add some stetching to your post ride routine

And if you can - a massage will help.

All of this can aid recovery between rides - but don't expect miracles!
  • What you haven't told us is why your legs hurt? Are you overweight, unfit, over spinning, mashing, knee problems relating to pedals... etc?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've used this a few times http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-ozone-after-competition-cream-150ml-tube/
    My legs don't feel quite as heavy the next day.
    I've also used their warm up stuff as well.On long rides I do feel it keeps my legs fresh.
    A few other issues which may be the cause:
    New to cycling and not bike fit
    Lack of warm up/cool down
    Poor saddle position
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sometimes I deliberately go out to make my legs 'hurt' - if they don't then I know that my training session hasn't been hard enough! However, there's a difference between general muscle pain (slight stiffness / glow) and chronic pain due to inflammation / over-doing it. The first should disappear after a day or two - anything longer indicates you're over-doing it and requiring further rest and further investigation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 2low
    Lots of good info here, thanks for the replies.

I'll try and fill in the gaps. Im 27, 13 1/2 stone, 6ft, average build but also quite muscular. Just picked up cycling after a looooong time of not owning a bike. Ive got a 2011 Bianchi via 7 tiagra and have just clipped in for the first time of my life (obligatory falling over at junction moment included). Im going to say im unfit, but im probably doing myself an injustice as i have a physical job (own a marquee hire firm), alas, i dont do a lot of physical exercise so to speak. Im putting it down to my quads and derriere not being used to a road bike (my ass seriously hurts tonight after a 10 miler this afternoon - saddle desperately uncomfy).

no knee problems, but i must admit im a sucker for not warming up propperly and cooling down..

thanks for the help guys, i appreciate this thread probably doesn't have a huge amount of longevity now most of the questions have been answered!
  • Valy
    Just a tip - if you (hopefully not) get any aches around the knees, do make sure you get them set up properly.

I've been fiddling with my cleat position ever since going clipless. :(

And again - try not to mash too much, as the temptation may be there initially! :P
  • 2low
    I can honestly say now that its my backside that hurts the most! ive got a particularly hard san marco that came with the bike, can anyone recommend a better saddle? my ass is pretty big (for a cyclist) so the more padding the better!
  • Valy
    I've had my bike since October and never really got used to the saddle completely. Unlike with a MTB I had where the saddle was fine.

The Charge Spoon gets many recommendations - I've been looking at getting one for quite a while, but maybe too much a cheapskate! Must get it someday though! :D
  • 2low wrote:
    I can honestly say now that its my backside that hurts the most! ive got a particularly hard san marco that came with the bike, can anyone recommend a better saddle? my ass is pretty big (for a cyclist) so the more padding the better!

Are you wearing proper cycling shorts? That's by far a bigger MUST than a better saddle. I have to say, the first time I took my bike out for a spin around the block in regular shorts, I was REALLY sore the next day...now, since getting proper shorts, and putting in a few miles, the discomfort of long rides hardly ever lasts longer than a day...if that.
  • 2low
    Ive got some endura undershorts which i wear rugby training shorts, what are the benefits of proper cycling shorts?
  • Valy
    Since you got undershorts it's pretty similar I imagine. I've only used pretty cheap padded shorts and tights with padding but eve nthey make a difference. Basically the more expensive ones are cut for a cycling fit - so that they stay in one place and the padding is meant to be better etc.

But if you already have some padded underpants I don't know how much difference it will make.
  • the difference is that the padding is in the correct area for cycling. You don't have to spend a TON for proper cycling shorts. Check out Aerotech designs (I have no relation to the company, just a happy customer), they have affordable shorts that are well made.
  • Valy wrote:
    I've had my bike since October and never really got used to the saddle completely. Unlike with a MTB I had where the saddle was fine.

The Charge Spoon gets many recommendations - I've been looking at getting one for quite a while, but maybe too much a cheapskate! Must get it someday though! :D

+1 Charge spoon, comfy, cheap, good endurance saddle
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    2low wrote:
    Iso the more padding the better!

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong, gave your ass some time to become accustomed to it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    You know what kind of pain it is and whether it's just that dull pain in your muscles from riding hard (i.e. good pain) or because something is up (i.e. bad pain).

If it's the good pain, man up and get out on that bike again.
  • I found it can take a few hundred miles for your ar5e to get used to the saddle.

This also seems to be the case if you have a few months off the bike and start up again.
  • I bought the charge spoon saddle and my last seat looked like a armchair ..and the spoon is more comfy then my old one .. ...Make sure you put a small spirit level on your saddle m8 makes alot of difference getting it right :lol: