ADVICE: INDOOR TRAINING ONLY IN HELMAND FOR 100KM SPORTIVE

sully72
sully72 Posts: 2
I'm currently deployed in Helmand & have entered the Wiggle Jurassic Beast 100km ride on the 8th May.
Currently only have use of a stationary bike (not in the best condition). Have so far been cycling an hour, 5 times a week, plus a couple of long runs & weight training.
Just want some advice on whether this is adequate for a 100km ride ? Also how accurate are the distances on the indoor bikes, currently doing 37km in 60 mins on the bike, is this worth using to plan my training.
Have been mountain biking & running for years, but this is my first road ride (apart from a 105 mile Help for Heroes ride on my mountain bike last September, hence why i bought a road bike at Christmas !)
Previous training out here was on a spinning bike using my heart rate monitor to gauge effort.
Cheer for any advice

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    if you're in the army you'll waltz around a 100km course. we did the 140m coast to coast in 2009 with a mate who was at sandhurst at the time, he hadn't rode a bike for 18months but was still the strongest there.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    If you're pretty fit (and it sounds like you are) you'll breeze 100Km

It's important to make sure you take in fluids and carbs on the ride. Isotonic drinks, energy bars, flapjacks, whatever you fancy, just keep energy levels up and you'll be fine.

You did 105 miles on a MTB! 100Km on a road bike will be a walk in the park.

Oh . . . but you might need to get used to your new bike, make sure you have it set up comfortably.