First Marathon Questions - Selkirk

butcher of bakersfield
butcher of bakersfield Posts: 1,233
edited February 2011 in XC and Enduro
First of all, apologies for another Selkirk topic. I don't want to hijack anyone else's.

I've never done any marathons before, or MTB events of any kind. So naturally I have a few questions..

My thinking at the moment, is of doing the 100k. Now, I have to point out that I've barely been out on the bike all winter, being over 30 age is not on my side, I smoke way too much, and the last time I probably would have considered myself 'fit' - and I'm not talking triathlon fit! - was at least 5 years ago.

So is the 100k likely to kill me, or is it just a case of slugging it out? Too much? The general idea is that by booking up now, it should hopefully give me the motivation to get fit again and I'll be in much better shape come the day. That's the idea...

Also, how much time do I have to book up for this?

I've had a look at the site and it's all a bit confusing. The tickets seem to be labeled for loads of different categories, or classes, and I've no idea what I'm buying to be honest?

And in the case of camping. If I got a Sunday ticket, would that allow me to camp on the Saturday night, or would I need a weekend ticket?

Cheers

Comments

• Book yourself in for the 50km or 75km route - you can always upgrade on the day or even half way round the route if you're feeling fit. Alternatively, book yourself in for the 100km route and, if you're feeling knackered halfway round, you can always drop to the 50km/75km (there are cut-off points where the route breaks for the different distances, but generally all distances follow the same route in the early stages).

Re the camping - I think you just book your entry for whatever event you want to take part in, e.g the 100km MTB marathon, and the camping is included within that fee. So you can roll up on the Saturday afternoon/night, partake in the pasta party or whatever, camp overnight and then do the event on the Sunday.

Re booking time, well, as long as you want to wait really. I think you can wait a few months as, from what I remember, it wasn;t sold out last year. But then I'm not sure, so it depends on whether you want to hang on right to the last minute and taking the gamble of not being able to get a place.

Personally, I'd book now - it commits you to the event and then gives you the focus to train towards it.

I'm booked already :D
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Thanks Broonster.
    Personally, I'd book now - it commits you to the event and then gives you the focus to train towards it.

That's the idea. I was going to do it last year (the 50k - there was no way I was going to be ready for the big 100 by the time I had spotted it), but my organisational skills have a lot to be desired. It had got to the point where I remembered about it, thought right, I'll have to book up for this, and then realised it had already been and gone the week before..

Hence my questions. I need to get it sorted now, otherwise it won't happen.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Aye, it'll kill you :D !

I entered it 6 years ago. Took up biking in January and did this 6/7 months later.

It was actually nearer 80-85km and the last three hours were hell.

Took me about 8 and a half hours. It was a glorious day - if it had been miserable I reckon I may still be out there somewhere :wink:

As a guide - I got my fitness up to where I could do the red route at glentress in around 1 hour 45 minutes.

I expected the marathon to have loads of easy fireroads in it due to the distance involved however I would say it was as hard as trying to do five continuous laps of Glentress red.

P.S. haven't done it since :P
  • That's quite worrying. Dunno about Glentress, but I done the red route at Dalby and I was buggered by the time I got to the end..
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Agree with Boonster. If you haven't done an MTB marathon before, think the 100 is a very big ask, especially if it rains in them hills! Why not enter a shorter, say 50km, event as part of your training and see how you go? You can then step up to the big boy if you feel up to it.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Hmm, I'm still fancying the big 100. I might not be fit, and I might (would!) be knackered by the end of it, but I couldn't see much problem in doing the 50k right now. ..not much of a challenge.

Think smoking might have to go though :? That's the toughest bit for me.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I'd do the 50km, if you are fit enough for the 100km then you'll put in a very good performance on the 50km and should be well placed. If you do the 100km and are then not fit enough, having to pull out part way round will not get you a final finishing position as you DNF and it will be demoralising for you.

I have some useful articles (so I'm informed) on my website. I'd have a quick read through them as they'll hopefully help you know what you've let yourself in for.

http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/racingFirstRace.asp
    http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/racingFAQ.asp
    http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/raceDay.asp

One of my race reports from when it all went to plan...
    http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/e6_2009.asp

And a race report when it all went wrong...
    http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/wc_2009.asp

In fact at Whinlatter I had a front wheel almost collapse on me the year following that last report so I'm hoping for better luck this year!

Enjoy the articles and good luck for your race!

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • I was in a similar position to you a few years back. Very unfit, overweight etc. I set a goal of 100k and did it. I did it again the next year and shaved over an hour off my time. I'll be there again this year too!

The first year was the toughest. Having a goal was key for getting fit. Then make up a plan and track your progress against it. Mine was based on the training plan on their website: basically start easy, build up one longer distance ride every week (up to 80% of the event distance), add in shorter interval sessions a few months before.

As above the distances are less than 100k in reality. It wont kill you. But the sense of achievement of achieving a seemingly crazy goal is a real buzz!

The route is great - climb, descent: repeat a few times. Also the 100 includes parts of the Innerleithen 7Stanes route which are fab! The last climb from the Inners car park to the top of Minch Moor is a real challenge though - especially after 5 hours in the saddle. The good news is that once you get to the top the last hour is fairly easy - rolling hills for a while followed by one long down (usually including part of a motocross course).

One thing that worried me first time were the 'cutoff' times - unless you get to point X by 2 o'clock (or whatever it was) you're asked to swich to one of the shorter routes. This meant for me - keeping up a reasonable pace.

Last year you could enter right up to the day before - but I wouldnt recommend that for motivation. Item 236696 on CRC is what you need I think (depends on age).

Sorry I dont know about the camping.
  • SiLanc wrote:
    I'd do the 50km, if you are fit enough for the 100km then you'll put in a very good performance on the 50km and should be well placed. If you do the 100km and are then not fit enough, having to pull out part way round will not get you a final finishing position as you DNF and it will be demoralising for you.

For me, I'm not the most competitive of people. It's not really the 'race' that motivates me. It's the experience and the challenge. Just being there and taking part in something I've never done before is something in itself. And the challenge is just getting to the end.

I guess if I had raced before, then I'd naturally become more competitive with a marker of my previous efforts. And I'd want to better that (or get back to, or close to that, depending on how fit I was previously). At the moment I have no idea how I'd fair against other people. And slogging my guts out to be faster than others doesn't appeal to me. I'm much happier slogging my guts out at my own pace. Even if that means walking the last 5 miles to the finish line!

I don't know what to expect from the outcome tbh. I just want to give it a bash and see what's served up on the day. If I don't make it...at least I tried.

Cheers for the links. I'll have a look through them .
  • I was in a similar position to you a few years back. Very unfit, overweight etc. I set a goal of 100k and did it. I did it again the next year and shaved over an hour off my time. I'll be there again this year too!

The first year was the toughest. Having a goal was key for getting fit. Then make up a plan and track your progress against it. Mine was based on the training plan on their website: basically start easy, build up one longer distance ride every week (up to 80% of the event distance), add in shorter interval sessions a few months before.

As above the distances are less than 100k in reality. It wont kill you. But the sense of achievement of achieving a seemingly crazy goal is a real buzz!

The route is great - climb, descent: repeat a few times. Also the 100 includes parts of the Innerleithen 7Stanes route which are fab! The last climb from the Inners car park to the top of Minch Moor is a real challenge though - especially after 5 hours in the saddle. The good news is that once you get to the top the last hour is fairly easy - rolling hills for a while followed by one long down (usually including part of a motocross course).

Awesome stuff.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Yeah, I meant to say that you might surprise yourself on how easily you finished within the time limit or time you expected to finish within. In my first race I aimed to finish the distance (4 hours), then in the second race not come dead last, the third finish in the top 75%, etc.

You are right in thinking that the only real competition is you....oh and the trail\course builder of course.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Oooooooooh I fancy this, will sign up at the weekend. Although I am yet to do any sort of MTB racing :lol:

Although im going to do an SXC event or two and have a coast to coast in May.

I am fit now and will be fitter then. :twisted:
  • Yeah, I probably didn't word my own post well. I feel what you're saying.

I guess for me, to do the 50k (a distance I've done before, albeit not racing), and come last. That would be disappointing. To finish somewhere in the middle, I wouldn't be excited by. And even to finish in a good position (say top 30%)...I'd be happy....but it doesn't motivate me right now.

To do 100k. It's more of a benchmark. A solid, fixed goal to work towards. Something I can assess from my own progress, and work towards knowing exactly what I'm building up to. And it's something I fancy having a bash at :D

And I'm too stubborn to change my mind now..
  • Stoo61 - It's not a race. Apparently. Really it is - but just against yourself! Unless you're in the fastest 5% ! Seriosuly - it's all folk out to challenge themselves / their kids!

Butcher ... feel free to get in touch if you need more pointers or even when the motivation level feels low. YOU CAN DO IT! Also nearer the time - drop us a line: we can have a 10p bet on who's first timer is best!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 - It's not a race. Apparently. Really it is - but just against yourself! Unless you're in the fastest 5% ! Seriosuly - it's all folk out to challenge themselves / their kids!
    Also nearer the time - drop us a line: we can have a 10p bet on who's first timer is best!

Aw yeah I know, I'm not going to be competing with any race whippets but I would not be to happy in the bottom 30% or so. I'm 23 and on the biggest health kick of my life so far :D

Oh and thats a bit of friendly competition right there. 10p it is...tight Scottish ba..... :lol:
  • grantus
    I think you should enter it mate! If I could get round it with 6 months training from being a total newbie then anyone can do it.

One bit of advice - don't start off too fast :D

Saw someone mention the Inners climb - brings back nightmarish memories!!!

Hit the bottom of that climb with over 5 hours in the saddle and I knew what was in store as i'd done Inners before. Reckon it took nearly two hours to get the 9kms to the top :twisted: :twisted:

I don't remember it being easy after that!! There was another bugger of a climb - albeit fire road - perhaps it isn't too bad normally bit just because I was gubbed it took it right out of me.

Think it may be around 2 -3 mile steady but steep fire road climb - then you have the final 10kms or so of the Southern Upland Way before a final almighty fast downhill to Selkirk - of course, the route may have changed completely since I did it in 2005.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Yes, the rocky step-up bits on the Inners climbs are an absolute b*~#! at that stage of the route! Definitely one of the worst parts of the course for me. Descent at the end is an abolsute classic though!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • grantus
    For me, the best bits of that route were the singletrack down off the top of the Three Brethren and also the seemingly never ending switchback climb in Elibank/Traquair forest.
  • Stoo61
    Entered 100K..... :D ........ :shock:
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Entered 100K..... :D ........ :shock:

Kielder 100 (mile) event the following month if you're really up for a challenge! :lol:
  • Stoo61 - It's not a race. Apparently. Really it is - but just against yourself! Unless you're in the fastest 5% ! Seriosuly - it's all folk out to challenge themselves / their kids!

Butcher ... feel free to get in touch if you need more pointers or even when the motivation level feels low. YOU CAN DO IT! Also nearer the time - drop us a line: we can have a 10p bet on who's first timer is best!

Cheers, man. I might even raise it to 50p if I'm feeling confident!
    Broonster wrote:
    Kielder 100 (mile) event the following month if you're really up for a challenge!

I was thinking about this one too. I didn't realise it was 100 miles though!!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Done teh Selkirk 100km twice now and teh Kileder 100.

All I will say is they are tough.....VERY TOUGH!!

Make sure you are a strong climber!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Broonster wrote:
    Kielder 100 (mile) event the following month if you're really up for a challenge!

Yep, 100 miles of off-road madness. I've entered it for the first time. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm working on the basis that you enter it, commit yourself to it and then train like a mad man towards it! I'm sure 100 miles off-road if pretty much as tough as it gets and I don't mind saying that I'm totally bricking it at the prospect of doing it! :lol:
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Broonster wrote:
    Broonster wrote:

Yep, 100 miles of off-road madness. I've entered it for the first time. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm working on the basis that you enter it, commit yourself to it and then train like a mad man towards it! I'm sure 100 miles off-road if pretty much as tough as it gets and I don't mind saying that I'm totally bricking it at the prospect of doing it! :lol:

You will love it.......fantastic course.
    Weather was superb last year which really made it so fingers crossed for this year!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk