Which GPS

spannerchucker1
spannerchucker1 Posts: 12
edited February 2011 in Routes
I'm looking to buy a GPS that I can use for trails in Spain as I'm finding it very difficult to find any maps. Can anyone suggest a system that would be suitable? Thanks, Andy.

Comments

• neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Satmap - you can get a 1:25k map card for Spain for about £50
  • Nice one, thanks for the reply. I'm gonna check it out now!
  • Garmin Dakota, Garmin Oregon, MemoryMap....loads of great systems out there.

For maps try openstreetmap.com. Free maps galore!
  • I asked this same question a while back and was also advised to download (free) the app for an iphone called motion-x.
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • I'm edging towards a Garmin setup and just had a look at the Openmtbmap site. It looks like it'd be really handy once you figure out how to use it and if it's compatible with a Mac etc, etc. Are these sites really as difficult to use as they look?
  • abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    Just download the gmapsupp.img file from the link below and copy it to a folder called GARMIN on a micro SD card and put it in your garmin.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I'm edging towards a Garmin setup and just had a look at the Openmtbmap site. It looks like it'd be really handy once you figure out how to use it and if it's compatible with a Mac etc, etc. Are these sites really as difficult to use as they look?

its very easy it's what I use on my Dakota 20 and macbook works a treat :D
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Excellent, thanks for the info everyone. I'll be ordering a Garmin very soon.
  • I've got a Blackberry Bold, not sure about using that though cos I'm on a UK contract and the roaming data charges are scary.
  • I've got a Blackberry Bold, not sure about using that though cos I'm on a UK contract and the roaming data charges are scary.