Sore legs

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
Just curious if anyone has any tips/advice to help me get rid of this soreness out of my legs. After three fairly fast club runs (I'm a new club rider) it feels like its taking it toll a bit on the legs.

Cheers, Tony.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you mean 3 fast club runs in a row over 3 days?

Don't think you can do much more than eat well and rest (or do a nice easy recovery ride).
    More problems but still living....
  • Rest? If it sjust overuse - or is it injury due to wrong position? Some find a protein shake (or real food ) after riding hard helps speed recovery. But rest is the real answer!
  • Tonymufc
    amaferanga wrote:
    Do you mean 3 fast club runs in a row over 3 days?

Don't think you can do much more than eat well and rest (or do a nice easy recovery ride).

Not in a row but over the last 7 days. No injuries that I know of, just a much faster pace that I'm slowly getting used too. I went out twice on Thurs day. Once in the morning and then a fast ride in the evening. I suppose that may have a bearing on how I feel.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you've been doing more miles at a higher pace than you're used to then you'll probably need a day or two to recover. Simple as that.
    More problems but still living....
  • get used to it; rest is the only cure (1-2) days. But if you want to ride quite frequently you just have to get used to your legs feeling more sore and tight than light and strong.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Just curious if anyone has any tips/advice to help me get rid of this soreness out of my legs. After three fairly fast club runs (I'm a new club rider) it feels like its taking it toll a bit on the legs.

Cheers, Tony.

I'll let you into a secret - cycling makes you tired. Remember, you heard it here first.....
  • Tonymufc
    emx wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

Cheers, Tony.

I'll let you into a secret - cycling makes you tired. Remember, you heard it here first.....

Thanks for that little chestnut, I wish someone else would've told me that sooner. The last tens years on a bike seem to have taught me nothing. :roll:
  • Tonymufc
    amaferanga wrote:
    If you've been doing more miles at a higher pace than you're used to then you'll probably need a day or two to recover. Simple as that.

Won't be touching the bike now till Sunday so hopefully it will have subsided by then. Cheers fellas.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Rest? If it sjust overuse - or is it injury due to wrong position? Some find a protein shake (or real food ) after riding hard helps speed recovery. But rest is the real answer!

Is you're bike set up correctly in terms of your feet and the fore/after?

You sometimes find that if you're too far forward or back, your quads take more of the load than they really should. Tried using a pum bob lately to check foot/cleat position in relation to the crank?

Otherwise, just rest..;-)
  • Tonymufc
    sampras38 wrote:
    Rest? If it sjust overuse - or is it injury due to wrong position? Some find a protein shake (or real food ) after riding hard helps speed recovery. But rest is the real answer!

Is you're bike set up correctly in terms of your feet and the fore/after?

You sometimes find that if you're too far forward or back, your quads take more of the load than they really should. Tried using a pum bob lately to check foot/cleat position in relation to the crank?

Otherwise, just rest..;-)

Going for a bike fit soon when the new bike arrives which will be my new winter trainer so we'll have to see then. The only thing with that is by the time it arrives and I have the fit I won't really know if its the fit thats made the difference or that my fitness has improved. (Which it seems to have done over the last four weeks)
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Thanks for that little chestnut, I wish someone else would've told me that sooner.

it's not a problem - that's what forums are for.....
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Stretching might help as well as rest
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Walking helps free off the tightness and soreness in the legs, also ensure you are drinking plenty of H2O.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    buy a hot tub....seriously.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    MTFU
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    If your legs are hurting, it means that you are doing in right.....if your legs dont hurt from cycling, then you did it wrong :P
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    Rest is one thing, a good thing.

When I am very tired and sore, I like to drink some milk. Lots of milk.

If really sore, get a massage. Works wonders.

My legs are killing me right now, but that's from too much time in the squat rack yesterday. Take it easy tomorrow, hopefully I'll be good by Monday.
  • Simple stuff like warm down periods after the 'faster' rides. Soft spinning for a bit.

Also the soft recovery ride to get things moving. Walking etc.

Sometimes soreness hangs around longer if you don't move about enough!
  • Tonymufc
    smithy1.0 wrote:
    Walking helps free off the tightness and soreness in the legs, also ensure you are drinking plenty of H2O.

Your not the first person to recommend this. There's a few things I'm gonna trial that some of you have suggested. Otherwise I'll just deal with it and get on with it. Legs have felt fine for the last couple of days, been moving around plenty and drinking plenty of water. Don't tend to warm down just come to a complete stop so there maybe something there that I need to look at/change. And if all that fails, then, I'll MTFU! :lol:
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Foam roller stretches are awesome for getting the knots out