Reliability Rides?

Velonutter
Velonutter Posts: 2,437
I'm planning on doing a few of these, but really can't get a definition of what they truly are, the routes seem very much like an Audax/Sportive, but I keep hearing things such as: -

- They are all bloody Nutters
- It's a race
- Old riders whooping young lads asses.

So can anyone define them and what to expect?

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Sportives are a bunch of riders pretending to be racing
    Reliabilities are a bunch of riders pretending not to be racing

They are good fun. Go.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    dulldave wrote:

They are good fun. Go.

Cheers Dave, done a good few spotives, but think these are going to be harder :shock: :roll: :cry::D
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    dulldave wrote:

They are good fun. Go.

+1 :D

I saw one once with four riders abreast sprinting for the 30mph limit sign at the finish!!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I did one with your club Markos, it was alot of fun :lol:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    When does a reliability become a challenge..
    And a race is a challenge..
    And a sportive is a challenge..
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I did these last year and currently doing them every week for the next few weeks. The ones I've done are basically bunch races on open roads for Sportive distances. Great fun and bloody hard!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    RideOnTime wrote:

There all a bloody challenge if your not fit enough and/or you in with folk that are just too quick. :oops:
  • Reliability Rides have been a feature of club cycling for over 100 years. They are NOT RACES and are organised to require each entrant to ride over a pre-set course within an agreed time. The route is planned to necessitate all-round riding ability and not sheer speed. Organisers must not publish finishing times or finishing order. Extract from BC regulations

If you need every junction marshalled, are unsure how maps work, find reading simple instructions difficult, can’t time your own ride, this is not the event for you. If however you can manage these simple tasks and want to save about £30 then perhaps a Reliability Ride is worth a try.
    See blog for details
    www.vanillabikes.com/blog.aspx
  • I'm 3/5 of the way through the 'Rons Reliable 5' series of rides in North/West Yorkshire for the first time. The weather has been lousy and ordinarily I probably would have stayed in bed but these rides have motivated me to get out on the bike more than usual at this time of year.

There's a mixture of rider types and I would guess that the majority are hardier sorts than an average summer sportive rider but most seem to be friendly and groups tend to form on the road.

I'd definitely recommend these for getting back in shape after xmas if, like me, you can't bear the thought of crunching miles on the turbo trainer.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    RideOnTime wrote:

Getting out of bed is a challenge. What's your point?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Done 3 of these over the last 4 weeks. Been really good fun and entry fees somewhere between nothing and £5(all of which went to charity)
    They tend to start off fairly steady for the first 5 mins-15 if you get lucky then it normally kicks off a bit.
    Very friendly
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Jonny7c wrote:
    I'm 3/5 of the way through the 'Rons Reliable 5' series of rides in North/West Yorkshire for the first time. The weather has been lousy and ordinarily I probably would have stayed in bed but these rides have motivated me to get out on the bike more than usual at this time of year.

There's a mixture of rider types and I would guess that the majority are hardier sorts than an average summer sportive rider but most seem to be friendly and groups tend to form on the road.

I'd definitely recommend these for getting back in shape after xmas if, like me, you can't bear the thought of crunching miles on the turbo trainer.

I have never done a reliability ride, but would love to try one.
    I see the next one starts in Otley and the route is my default ride I do most Sundays.
    Can I ask a stupid question -
    Do you stop at a cafe half way or do you bring your own food along with you?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Not a stupid question. Very few stop as there are time limits for a completion. Just pack a couple of gels and a drink. I got round the Airdale one last Sunday on just a bottle of Alsports Winter Training Fuel. Great stuff.
  • If you do the Otley one you get to have tea, cakes and soup at the club house in Otley at the finish.
  • Steve GT
    John.T wrote:
    Not a stupid question. Very few stop as there are time limits for a completion. Just pack a couple of gels and a drink. I got round the Airdale one last Sunday on just a bottle of Alsports Winter Training Fuel. Great stuff.

Thanks for that John. Will bring a few cereal bars and gels with me.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT
    SpeedQueen wrote:
    If you do the Otley one you get to have tea, cakes and soup at the club house in Otley at the finish.
    Sounds good! Looking forward to it.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.