Is it worth buying a new bike?

qwerty52
qwerty52 Posts: 14
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
I've been using my old MTB on the roads for a few weeks now and I'm strongly debating whether or not to buy a new bike.

I currently ride a Raleigh Mantaray thats probably 10 years old. I struggle going up steep hills however and I know that a modern bike would have one or two easier gears but am unsure of how significant their effect would be?

My lowest gear now is 24T in the front and 28T in the back. Would switching to a 22T in the front and 32T (like most modern MTBs) in the back make things much easier and increase my enjoyment of the sport? Or are the size of the chain rings not particularly important? I've never ridden a modern MTB so I can't compare.

Also, what other advantages are there to buying a new bike rather than riding a 10 year old one that has spent 99% of its time stuck in the garage until recently?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, optimizing gearing can make a big difference.

Though I would certainly look at a new bike too if getting serious, as there will be other better components too.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    A new bike will be much lighter than your old Raleigh too which should ease your hill climbs, but you need to know how serious you are about it first before spending money.
  • Oh I'm pretty serious about it, despite struggling I'm really enjoying it. I'm okay with spending the money, but was unsure about the difference between modern day bikes and old ones like mine.

Thanks for the positive responses so far, looks like I may be buying a new bike soon.
  • RLyons
    RLyons Posts: 67
    It's a pretty big difference! I have just ditched my 11 year old specialized (a great bike at the time) for a low/mid-range bike and it's infinitely better! Especially the forks and brakes, but I also prefer the modern geometry of my new bike - gives a better riding position and enthuses confidence!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Also consider a new-ish second hand bike. there are a lot of £300-£500 decent starter bikes a year or two old on ebay / gumtree for £100-£200, that will be a massive step up from your 10 year old raleigh. A lot have only pootled around roads and never seen a trail so not realy had much wear.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Also consider a new-ish second hand bike. there are a lot of £300-£500 decent starter bikes a year or two old on ebay / gumtree for £100-£200, that will be a massive step up from your 10 year old raleigh. A lot have only pootled around roads and never seen a trail so not realy had much wear.

Exactly what I have just done. The bike is amazing compared to what I have ridden before. You would most definitely notice the difference.
  • Jack 123
    Jack 123 Posts: 118
    yeah night and day
  • Go for a newer 2nd hand bike to make sure - you can pick up some amazing bargains with a bit of trawling around and pocket the difference for upgrades.

I went from a viking with mix n match parts and unbelievably heavy to a three month old Bokor. The difference is beyond belief.
  • Bought mtbs for me and the Mrs twelve years ago. Started riding them seriously two years ago. Mrs would be miles faster than me, so I got fed up and bought a cheap entry level bike £225 after a few months and left her trailing in my wake. As above the weight and quality and efficiency of components now makes a huge difference.

There are many places where you can hire bikes, if you can't borrow one from a mate. To gauge the difference yourself, go riding with someone you normally ride with and see how much faster you are with a modern bike.
  • blucky
    blucky Posts: 40
    YES YES & YES, everyone loves new shiny things !!!!
    ..................................................................................................

I own a cat called Gary !

Boardman Comp 2010
    Boardman Sport 2010
    Marin - Bear Valley SE 1992 ?