Inexpensive Bike rack advice

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hi there

Looking for an inexpensive (under £50) bike rack for a hatchback... Don't need it for long journeys... Just wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions or recommendations...

Thx in advance

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try and find a used Saris Bones
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    If it's for a single bike the the Saris Bones Solo is very good, see here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
  • Tbh I think I would buy for 2 bikes as chances are I would be cycling with a mate... Like the look of the Saris though, if not a little more than I hoped to spend...

After reading that other thread... can the bikes be strapped in to stop them going 'horizontal' ?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Tbh I think I would buy for 2 bikes as chances are I would be cycling with a mate... Like the look of the Saris though, if not a little more than I hoped to spend...

After reading that other thread... can the bikes be strapped in to stop them going 'horizontal' ?
    No, they can't be strapped on horizontally. It sounds like a couple of people who commented on the other thread had an issue with bikes rotating when strapped on. There's a strap for the seat tube which holds the bikes perfectly. I've never had any problems with the bikes moving.

Get a Saris Bones if you can !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Hope you don't mind me joining this thread.
    I'm looking for a bike rack as well. Summer holidays in Pyrenees so hopefully lots of riding.
    Getting the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff and then driving the rest of the way.
    Car is a mondeo hatchback. Concerned about bike obstructing view of lights /number plates. How strict are French police? Or how does a lights plate connect to bke rack? Have already booked ferry ticket which includes rear mounted rack, so don't want to get a roof rack now.
    Also, anyone any idea of effects n fuel consumption?
    Ta.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I have a saris bones which I use with my Focus. Took my Tricross to Provence with it and cycled up Mont Ventoux. Excellent bit of kit.

The lights are high up on a Focus so wasn't a major issue. Probably should of got a number plate hanger but didn't and had no issues.

I would imagine the effects on fuel consumption are mainly to do with weight (more energy required to move a heavier car). Roof racks are more effected by drag than a rear-mounted carrier.
  • I bought a used thule 962 from a friend for $25 (yeah, that's not a typo :P) it had MAYBE been used 2-3 times from what I could tell (some of the parts were still in plastic bags). I loaded it up with 3 bikes this weekend, and it was not bad. I typically only put my bike on there, and I'm a lot more confident when driving, but with the 3 bikes, I noticed it did move around a bit more...everything was still very secure though, I was just being paranoid. So, try finding used ;)