Paranoid

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
The problem with having a newish bike and taking it on Audax rides with a cafe stop is that you have to park it outside.

And this leads to feelings of massive paranoia Not sure if I have a solution, see blog article in linky.

Maybe this is an advantage of Sportives that no one has mentioned yet, less paranoia

Oh, and here's a another linky for those expecting something else from this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aIhh9nFYv4

Comments

• Not paranoia at all. I get the same feeling when I stop off on cafes on club runs. As for audaxes I never stop so it is not a problem.

There have been instances of thieves targetting cyclist's cafe. Even if not targetted you may still run the rist of opportunists. In one of the most serious cases, a set of guys turned up at the Edale Cafe dressed in full lycra, picked up the bikes from outside of the cafe and loaded them into a van. Nobody questioned their actions because of their attire.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I carry a small kryptonite loop with combination lock on it for audaxes, etc., and make sure I use it to lock my bike to a lamp post (or the like) when I am in a cafe or at the control, etc. I know it won't stop a determined thief but it will deter the opportunist walkiing past and is relatively light to carry.

You need to update your sig, by the way Philip, "Snowdrop and Sunrise, TFL" :)
    And fancy not stopping after someone's gone to all the effort of making all those cakes at the cafes...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I carry a small kryptonite loop with combination lock...

I've already got one of those in my armoury of locks. Trouble with it for events is that it is quite large and heavy. I just weighed it, 555g. That's less than any of the U locks I have but when I am trying to keep the weight of everything under control, a bit of a temptation to say "oh I don't think I'll take it this time"

The idea of the mini alarm cable is that I will hopefully take it with me
  • Never EVER allow the bike to be out of sight. Means you can just about have your cake and eat it.
  • or put your bike behind the other bikes
    going downhill slowly
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    vorsprung wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I carry a small kryptonite loop with combination lock...

I've already got one of those in my armoury of locks. Trouble with it for events is that it is quite large and heavy. I just weighed it, 555g. That's less than any of the U locks I have but when I am trying to keep the weight of everything under control, a bit of a temptation to say "oh I don't think I'll take it this time"

The idea of the mini alarm cable is that I will hopefully take it with me

1/2 a kilo? We must be talking about a different device. Mine is very rudamentary and weighs in at 100g. It's as cheap as chips but you get what you pay for. I only use it for very brief stops btw.
  • I'd look at one of the disc alarms, wont stop anyone picking your bike up, but you'll hear it fairly quickly.