Seatpost length

scandalousg
scandalousg Posts: 121
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm just about to buy a new seatpost as current one bent and is just outside warranty. Going to buy a Thomson one but not sure on length.

I couldn't see the length on my orange stalk but measured it and it was between 330mm and 350mm depending where I measured it.

So I think the 410mm one is probably the best over the 330mm one, anyone have any advice?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are using the old one right on the limit, then you need a long one. ButI thought Thomson did 367mm? Plenty of other seatposts out there available in 350mm that are just as good for less money.
  • I'm about half inch under the limit at the moment, but wanted to be safe than sorry. I was looking at Thomson as I was recommended these due to me bending the last one somehow (I am a little portly and not as fit a I'd like to be so am sat down quite a bit at the moment).
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I'd go for the longer one. If you change your frame and need more seatpost it'll always be there. Assuming you have space for the extra length inside the frame.

Have a look around at different seatposts but bear in mind posts which are the same length may have different minimum inserts.
  • The Thomson Elite is a fantastic post, it's reputation's deserved; don't see any reason why you couldn't get the 410mm & use a tube cutter (Homebase, about 8 quid) to adjust the length to suit - just make sure there's enough left in the frame! For me that means that the post goes on beyond the point where the top tube joins on a sloping top tubed bike.