colour coded - helmet and jersey??

evsy
evsy Posts: 111
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
hey everyone,

so im pretty new to cycling but loving it. decided to join my local club and have already got a few sportives lined up.

now i know this might seem like a pathetic question, but i have a red white and black bike, and a red white and black bell helmet. turns out my local club wear a yellow and black jersey. my question is should i change helmet to match colours with the jersey?

i know it might be a bit ott, but everyone i have been riding with and everyone at the club seem pretty colour co-ordinated.

what would you do?

thanks

evsy

Comments

• robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I find it fairly incomprehensible that you could even consider leaving the house without your colours being coordinated

What if Gok Wan saw you?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mismatched helmet isn't as heinous as mis-matched jersey and shorts though! :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    Play it safe - white helmet?
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    edited February 2011
    evsy wrote:
    hey everyone,

so im pretty new to cycling but loving it. decided to join my local club and have already got a few sportives lined up.

now i know this might seem like a pathetic question, but i have a red white and black bike, and a red white and black bell helmet. turns out my local club wear a yellow and black jersey. my question is should i change helmet to match colours with the jersey?

i know it might be a bit ott, but everyone i have been riding with and everyone at the club seem pretty colour co-ordinated.

what would you do?

thanks

evsy

Unless it bothers you, then it's not an issue, as you should have gathered; personally I would not dream of it, however I may be a bit of a sad'o :oops:

to the point that I will only wear my white helmet with my Storck and black helmet with the Cube!

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Wear what you like and f*ck 'em if they can't take a joke !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I think I've only ever had white or silver helmets, they go with pretty much anything so have never thought about it.

Personally I wouldn't buy a new helmet until I need one, or if CRC have a good deal on the table... :oops:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    I too, am a firm believer in the old adage..
    'It's not how fast you are, but how good you look'! :lol:

compare the two photos...

oh+dear+socks.JPG

assos-wmn-int-evo-lsjer-10-med.jpg

the case for the defense rests :wink:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    evsy
    colour coordination please - i guess you wont be wearing a club jersey then - ditto - mine is white purple and yellow - when they change the colours I will wear one but NEVER before!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • i think the only way to go its to change everything to match the club jersey or its just plain wrong & you will be shunned by the whole cycling comunity

this includes your bike :twisted:
  • evsy
    evsy Posts: 111
    invincible wrote:
    i think the only way to go its to change everything to match the club jersey or its just plain wrong & you will be shunned by the whole cycling comunity

:lol:

i hope youre joking?!!

thinking i might change the helmet for a neutral colour.
  • black or white helmet + black shorts + black or white bike + black or white shoes = any colour jersey you like

8)
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    No helmet? :wink:
  • Once you have overcome this difficulty I predict that another will soon raise it's head. Naturally, your burgeoning talent will project you to the title of Club Champion; at that point it will become tricky. The jersey with the champion's bands will clash with the ensemble, especially when, as reigning KoM you have already painted your bike, helmet, etc. white with red polkadots. This may have to go all the way to the Court of Arbitration in Taste, aka NapD.

Good try for a second post evsy, better luck next time :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Save your money on buying a new helmet - get the old one painted with the club logo. That way they'll put you at the front of their peloton out of sheer pride.

http://www.beespokes.co.uk/customised-helmets/
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    Hi evsy - your not joining the Addiscombe by any chance are you ? :lol:
    don't worry about it for a minute ... My club kit is yellow & black, but when I wanted a new lid I bought one to match bike colours not the club kit - which is only worn on club rides anyway...
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Wear what you have and/or what you want. If someone gives you grief - turn up the following week with a Camelpak LOL

Just make sure you are not at the back of the pack... otherwise they might forget you're part of the group!
    Simon
  • pbamf
    pbamf Posts: 69
    Is everyone missing something here. Sounds like an excuse to buy that new bike to match said club jersey :D
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    The real problems come when after having had a bike for s couple of years you buy a new one.

My old bike and gear is all co-ordinated around blue.

My new bike is red, white and black.

I may even have to nick my wife's helmet in order to get close to a bike/helmet match.
  • evsy wrote:
    invincible wrote:
    i think the only way to go its to change everything to match the club jersey or its just plain wrong & you will be shunned by the whole cycling comunity

:lol:

i hope youre joking?!!

thinking i might change the helmet for a neutral colour.

nope it'll be in your club rules i bet :wink:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Look for a club whose kit matches yours to a similar degree.
    Kit has to match or how else will you sleep at night?
  • pbamf wrote:
    Is everyone missing something here. Sounds like an excuse to buy that new bike to match said club jersey :D

No way - change your club so the kit is a match - these guys sound to have the right colour scheme for you

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/club.html#ClubKit

nice kit too

then tell your current club you will ride with them 2nd claim - sorted!