MTB road tyres

964rh
964rh Posts: 72
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

After a bit of advice on what tyres to use for a 100mile road trip using my 09 Fury?

I currently use Continental travel contact semi slicks when on the road as I go off road now and again on my normal route and tehse are great for what I do but the road trip is solely tarmac.

Any ideas on what I shoudl be going for?

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• When I use my mtb on the roads, I tend to use Maxxis High Roller Semi Slicks, they're amazing both on and off road, and offer huge amounts of grip.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Schwalbe make some good all slick tyres
    I use the Big Apple 2.35 on my hardtrail commuter and they may be wide and a little heavy, but they soak up the bumps with style.
    Another option is the Schwalbe Fat Frank or the skinnier Schwalbe City Jet range, which are 1.5-1.9 width
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I've got schwalbe city jets and they're great, done about 700 miles of road riding since october and so far no punctures! (Blatantly going to get one on my ride tommorow now lol)
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Maxxis detonators, use them for commuting, super fast rolling.
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Schwalbes with smart guard. Either a kojak or a marathonof some kind. Not a single puncture in several thousand miles on my commuter.
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    Thanks for taking the time to reply all

Just order a set of city jets and a set of kojaks.

Not sure I'll have the confidence or skill with the completely bald Kojaks unless it's bone dry but I'll see how I get on once I start pounding the miles.

Regards

Rob
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    Nickel wrote:
    I've got schwalbe city jets and they're great, done about 700 miles of road riding since october and so far no punctures! (Blatantly going to get one on my ride tommorow now lol)

+1.

I got some from a car bootie to put on my round-the-block training gronk. When you pump 'em up hard, there's only 1 cm or so touching the ground. Must have done 300 or so miles on them, some on bridle path with cut hedges, and no punctures.

They don't break the bank to buy, either.
  • I have a mountain bike, Schwinn 210 FS, with 26" tires. Can I install hybrid tires on it or do I need new rims for that? and if anybody can tell me what would be the price of new Rims? in case i have to purchase new rims.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    faniccj wrote:
    I have a mountain bike, Schwinn 210 FS, with 26" tires. Can I install hybrid tires on it or do I need new rims for that? and if anybody can tell me what would be the price of new Rims? in case i have to purchase new rims.

You don't need new rims. Just go out and get some Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I use them for commuting on Glasgows pothole littered , glass covered streets. Good grip , no punctures.
  • I've got these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52707

not strictly a slick, more like a big bmx tyre. But fast rolling and a bargain at that price.
  • +1
    WTB Graffiti SF Race Tyre
    you cant beat the price 8)
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I have some Specialized Fat Boys. slick tyres that are designes for mountainbike rims. Roll really fast :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Specialized Turbo ATBs are even quicker. Or Conti Grand Prix, both 26x1.0" - depends if you want speed and are prepared to sacrifice efficiency.

Road tyres really aren't as fragile as people seem to think, if going 300 miles without a flat was remarkable there'd be a lot of annoyed roadies! I've had one flat on the road bike in the last 5000 miles or so.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hawmaw wrote:
    faniccj wrote:
    I have a mountain bike, Schwinn 210 FS, with 26" tires. Can I install hybrid tires on it or do I need new rims for that? and if anybody can tell me what would be the price of new Rims? in case i have to purchase new rims.

You don't need new rims. Just go out and get some Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I use them for commuting on Glasgows pothole littered , glass covered streets. Good grip , no punctures.

+1. I too have used the Schwalbe Snickers Plus on the mean streets of Glasgow. A firn tyre.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Try the Panaracer Razer XC 2.1. You'd be surprise at how light (450g) and the low rolling resistance these tires are on the road at max psi (55 psi). Have used 'em for up 140km with long constant stretches at 30-35 kmh. Using them on dry or wet roads with confidence. Good grip off-road down to 30 psi but only Dry / Hard Pack / Rocky. Not so good off-road when on wet grass / wet roots / wet rock gardens. Got tired of constantly changing between Panaracer XC Firepros (superb all round off road) and Maxxis Xenith 1.5 (complete slicks for road). They were a nice compromise. I weigh 110 kgs.

2010 Anthem X, Custom Build.
  • 964rh wrote:
    Hi all

After a bit of advice on what tyres to use for a 100mile road trip using my 09 Fury?

I currently use Continental travel contact semi slicks when on the road as I go off road now and again on my normal route and tehse are great for what I do but the road trip is solely tarmac.

Any ideas on what I shoudl be going for?

Thanks

Rob

I would stick to what you already have !
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.