Scary brake fail

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Thought my life was over this afternoon.

Heading down to a roundabout at Haddricks Mill, Gosforth, Newcastle and my 105's failed causing me to just miss a British Gas van and causing a Ford Ka to brake suddenly.

No idea what caused it as brakes worked fine when I pulled up and checked them except for an oily film on the rims (I've a suspicion someone at work has been at the bike).

Not good nevertheless. Lesson is check bike before I set off.

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    wow that means some cretin thought it might be funny if you got injured or killed? the world is full of morons :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Id report this to your work via their incident record book.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Id report this to your work via their incident record book.
    +1 Glad you're ok.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Tell work you want to check the CCTV (if there is any) as someone made an attempt on your life! Take it seriously its the only way to make the cretins think twice!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez if they did tamper with it - they should be locked up. Make sure you tell any other cyclists at work.
  • If it is a practical joke, it's bordering on "attempted murder".

However, there has been lots of water on the road up here on Tyneside, could just be a bit of oil or diesel sprayed up.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd be wary of making accusations unless you can be positive it was down to a malicious act - are you sure you didn't just hit a patch of diesel on the road?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    If you aren't used to riding in the wet- the brakes just don't work as well

I've never had an "oily film" appear on the front rim. I assume this mysterious film was on both rims? The front brake is more important for braking than the back
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    All sorted. We had workmen in and they were spraying some kind of lacquer in the garage where my bike was kept. The stuff left a film of what looked like moisture all over the shop and it's obviously settled on my bike - thus affecting the wheel rims and lessening the braking impact when applied.

Apparently they'd asked for my bike to be moved but staff forgot to move it before they went ahead with the job.

No worries now we got to the bottom of it.