Junior Tour of wales

2»

Comments

• Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    As has been said the Junior Tour of Wales is a big event, I know a couple of our local 2nd year juniors are targeting this race hoping for a big result (one of them is a sponsored ride very big legs and an expensive bike ), they are both already 2nd Cat riders training over 15hrs a week. I am not trying to put you off, just explaining it is a very tough event.

Train as much as you can fit in, and get out there and race as much as possible, enter the event have have a real go and give yourself something to work on for next year.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    WetAndCold wrote:
    But please; point out what post made you think that I thought this would be a 'walk in the park' It must have come across wrong because I never meant to imply that at all.
    Just that you don't seem to be giving either the event in question or racing in general the respect it deserves. As many other posters pointed out before I came along, racing at this level is earned not a right, you have to put in the work to get there, and part of that work involves starting at lower levels and learning as you go. It's not a sportive or a duathlon or a 50mile TT, it's probably the biggest junior stage race in the country.

Rather than show a healthy fear and respect for that, instead you've posted lots of of rolling eyes emoticons, comments about sponsored riders and how "unfair" that is and basically shown disrespect for everything related to racing at that level. In other words, showing you know nothing about it. A little more humility would go a long way.
  • I didn't mean to come across that way at all. I don't think I'll ever be able to compete at the level of the Junior Tour of wales. And I thought every post I had written showed that. It has obviously come across as the opposite somehow and you think that I am showing no respect and think that I can simply compete in these races.

My original post was asking whether you had to be in a team to enter. I never said I thought I was going to win or that riding it would be easy. I have always thought that enetering would be for the experience because I could never imagine myself competing, let alone getting anywhere near winning.

Re the 'unfair' thing, I said that because (although some examples posted here have proved me wrong) that most good racers started racing early in life due to their parents being cyclists and getting them racing. I never had those opportunities. However, of course I don't think it's a god given right to be a good cyclist. I never said that riding with sponsored riders would be unfair. Infact, the comment after mentioning sponsored riders was: "this is going to be fun...... :roll: " The roll eyes emoticon denoting sarcasm and the fact I thought that I would obviously not be able to compete, not disrespect for racing as you seem to suggest. :?

P.S
    I like the rolling eyes emoticon -> :roll:
  • Richj
    WetandCold, don't get hung up about other riders having raced for years, I was talking to someone in our cycling club today who said there had been an article in cycling weekly about the number of good quality riders who came into the sport late, for example I understand from the BC website and our juniors that Jack Clarkson only started racing and talking the sport seriously last year, he nearly went and won the Cyclo-Cross National Trophy this season. To be competitive you need racing experience and a good year plus of solid hard work and training, even then only a few will make it.

As maryka has said those at the top in junior racing have dedicated a lot of time, effort and expense into the sport, they haven't just turned up and been sponsored.
  • Richj wrote:
    those at the top in junior racing have dedicated a lot of time, effort and expense into the sport, they haven't just turned up and been sponsored.

Of course. I apologise again if I came across as someone who thinks sponsored riders are just people who got lucky or something, or if I came across as if racing was easy. I have the upmost respect for anyone who can put themselves through the amount of pain top competeing cyclists can. I admire those people.

Could someone point out where I said things that may have come across like this and I will delete the posts. I have somehow managed to convey the exact opposite of what I have tried to write. I.e. 'I don't think I can compete at top level, but I want to try and enter these races after serious training to see where I can get.'

Thanks.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    WetAndCold wrote:
    'I don't think I can compete at top level, but I want to try and enter these races after serious training to see where I can get.'
    I don't think you wrote with malice, but even this statement shows how little you know about the sport! You could have written something like "I don't think I can compete at the Tour de France but I want to try and enter it to see where I get" -- that's how it reads to the rest of us.

Seriously, don't worry about deleting posts, none of us are offended. Just get out there and train and start racing then see where you get. Trust me, you do NOT want to spend the money to enter the junior tour of Wales, get dropped in the first 10km of the first stage, finish beyond the time limit and not be allowed to start the next day. That's pretty much what you're looking at right now until/unless you get yourself some experience and race fitness.

Certainly post back with your results and experiences once you start racing, there will probably be a race reports thread for 2011 at some point (this is last year's).
  • Richj
    No need to delete posts, I was just trying to get across how tough a race like the junior tour of wales is for someone who hasn't raced and for those racing the time they put into training.

Seriously, enter some races, get good training under your belt and you'll be hammering average racers like myself in no time.
  • Leave the lad alone!

Get stuck in, the worst that can happen is that you'll have a swift brutal lesson in pain and get dropped in the first few miles. Not much fun, but you will have probably learnt more than if you solo away to victory. Whatever the outcome the experience at your age is invaluable, and don't ever be put off by anyone elses opinion on the these forums, they are just that; opinions.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    To be honest I don't think the OP has come across as sounding like he thinks the race will be easy. It sounds more like he has possibly heard of the race and fancied trying it without necessarily appreciating the level that junior riding can be at or that there can be a bit of an apprentiship required. I would have been similar at that age, my mate was a top GB rider so my big plan was to do my first race, sit on his wheel and try to outsprint him. It never occurred that it wouldn't be that easy and I would actually unship my chain on the start line and get dropped (handicap race with no neutralised section). I think very few people before they get into racing realise how much racing goes on, the amount of non-cyclists who seriously think that a club cyclist can turn up and ride the Tour de France never ceases to amaze me!

For reference have a look at the past results of the race, there's a few familiar names in there (I did see a list recently but can't find it now from memory Jeremy Hunt, Peter Kennaugh, Geraint Thomas and numerous other top pros have featured in the top 3).