Powerlinks

rtorbs
rtorbs Posts: 94
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Bit of noob question and apologies if this is in the wrong section but I want some advice on powerlink type options

Its for a new Boardman HT pro and its got the stock Shimano HG-73 chain on it but i want to be able to easily remove it for cleaning etc but what option do I have?

Some reviews ive read say not to mix powerlinks with shimano chains, others say its ok ? So whats the deal?

Do shimano make something similar? or are there other alternatives? with the exception of buying a SRAM chain of course....which i dont mind doing but seems pointless until this chain goes?!

Im completlely new and therefore unbiased as to what works best and would like some advice please :)

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They work fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rtorbs
    cooldad wrote:
    They work fine.

Cool....is there just one size? I know i need a 9spd one but when i checked i was convinced i read they were a couple of mm larger than the orig chain links?...could have dreamt it?! lol

and finally im guessing the shimano chain has a master link? do i need to swap that link specifically?....i cant instantly locate it....but theres def a link with a diff looking pin?
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    rtorbs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    They work fine.

Cool....is there just one size? I know i need a 9spd one but when i checked i was convinced i read they were a couple of mm larger than the orig chain links?...could have dreamt it?! lol

and finally im guessing the shimano chain has a master link? do i need to swap that link specifically?....i cant instantly locate it....but theres def a link with a diff looking pin?

You don't/can't split the chain at the master link, the link is riveted in nice and tight. You can tell its a master link by the black coloured pin that holds it together.

Split the chain at any other point :D

The 9spd links are thinner width wise compared to lets say a 8/7spd links.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • I'd definitely split it at the master pin... weakest joint on the chain and most likely to fail. You'll be replacing the outer plates anyway when you install the powerlnik
  • I just put in a Sram 9 speed powerlink on my wife's Shimano HG-53 & it works a treat (easy cleaning now)

I took out the master pin on the shimano chain,
    thinking thats the weak link,
    And it came out fine ?
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    I must be mistake then. My bad.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • Its worth getting one of the multipacks or powerlinks. That way you'll be able to repair your (or someone elses as has happend to me a few times) chain out on the trail if it breaks
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Or buy a sram chain as a spare and pinch the power link it comes with to use on your shimano. Just remember to keep the link when the shimano dies.

Do I win some sort of cheapskate award?
  • rtorbs
    Cheers everyone,

Just ordered a set of 3 :)