Budget shallow drop bars - Solution found, FSA Omegas

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to replace my current bars because I cannot stand them! I can only just touch the levers when down on the drops (Ive got smallish hands) and they feel far to steep.

I would like some retro(Curvy) bars with a nice shallow drop. Prefferably not for an oversize stem, but if i see something i like, I can always buy a new stem (At the moment im running an upside down MTB stem....)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Fsa omega compact might do you.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    fsa omega and vero seem retty similar. i got one of them for 15quid a few months ago, cant remember which though
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Cheers guys, I had a look at both bars and the Vero threw up quite a few sites where it was sold as Women specific...So i will have a look around for a set of Omegas. They seem perfect.

This is from the Bikeradar review of the Omegas.

'The design also has a shorter forward reach than most anatomic bars, providing a slightly more upright riding position when your hands are on the hoods. In addition, a double groove rather than a single one makes for slightly neater cable routing.'

Im currently running a 110mm stem. If im going to have to buy a new stem anyway, does it sound about right that I should go for a 120-130mm stem to give me the same reach when im on the hoods as I have now?

Ben
  • Hello

I've an FSA Wing Pro that I didnt get on with, that i've being meaning to stick in the classifieds. If you're looking for a 42c-c / 44 o-o and would rather have higher quality used than cheapy new bar then let me know . Its one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-wing-pro-co ... handlebar/ pretty much perfect nick (with the usual marks from the tape glue)

It's too short for me in terms of reach and depth, but may be what you're looking for?

Jon
  • That looks great mate, but i think my budget is probably a bit low for you. Im looking at spending around the £20-5 mark incl p+p(im a crappy student you see).

Thanks though.
  • Yeah, I guess id want £35 or £40 posted minimum really

Check the dimensions though - the drop and reach (125mm / 80mm) are probably as small as you'd want on a road bar, even if you cant get the flat top on a budget bar

Cheers

jon
  • Thanks for the advice fellas, i googled the Omega's and this review popped up. They sound perfect for me, he describes the same problems i have with ergo bars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWM0KTdCOY

I just won myself a set on ebay, £15 thanks to leaving it till the last second(Why do people bid before the last 5 minutes? IT just pushes the price up...). Bargain

Just need a stem now.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I like the bars, they feel a lot better on the drops. I wouldn't go for a much longer stem, if you are happy with your current one then another 10mm should be enough.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Look at the new old stock 3t bars at Planet X - some with standard 26mm clamp (which I think is what you asked for) and TdF bend.... :wink:

Otherwise I agree with FSA Omega.

More expensive, but in a similar profile (reach and drop) I just bought the silver Ritchey Classics (bar and stem) for my singlespeed and took off the branding with nail polish remover - they look seriously nice and still quite retro in spite of being oversize.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Cheers guys, I had a look at both bars and the Vero threw up quite a few sites where it was sold as Women specific...So i will have a look around for a set of Omegas. They seem perfect.

Vero are the same profile as the Omega - just a different Alu type (and I think they're lighter?). Either are good bars either way.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    i use omega ones with an oversize stem, they are brilliant! vero aren't womans bars, omega ones get review as for woman, but their not, I think they are brilliant. Winter bike has bontrager x lite ones and ive no idea how i used to ride with other bars, cant wait for the summer and compact bars again!
  • Just got back from my first ride with the omegas and ITM forged carbon 120mm stem.

I cannot believe the difference! The Omegas are so much more comfortable than my old ergo bars, they seem to put my whole upper body into a really relaxed position.

I've never been able to get down on the bars and hammer it on the flat, but I can now. Getting down to the drops is really smooth, my pathetic girly hands feel very cosy in the drop and I can comfortably reach the shifters.

Very happy man!