Rubbish Hotel Gym Bikes

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
As a lover of the sufferfest videos (Downward spiral and Revolutions especially), but a frequent traveller in the UK and abroad my training suffers greatly when I am back late to the hotel and I am forced to use their pony gym bikes.

TechnoGym - It's made in Italy for pitys sake and it is rubbish, however at least moving through the levels is easy and standing on the pedals works. Can't believe though that the seat has no fore-aft adjustment though, may have to take allen keys with me next time (Abode Chester).

Ergo-Form - Proppellen in Billund DK, seat is too wide although at least it moves backward and foreward. Did Angels and Revolution on it and hated it as my ass was numb for ages after, and also on Angels when it asks you to stand the mag reisitance crumbles easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions (not running though)?
Also some hotel bikes have no toe straps on them any idea how I can secure my foot to the pedal in the absence of those rubbish plastic straps.
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I spend a lot of time away, using much the same equipment as you do, and although it's not perfect, I'd rather be on one of those machines than nothing.
    I have used wide tie wraps in the past, to keep my feet on the pedals.
    The rig I'm on at present has no gym equip, whatsoever, and I'm hassling my company everyday for the kit that I specced. Hopefully it'll be here by March!
    I don't care if it's TechnoGym, or Argos!... As long as the pedals go round.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Can you pack a turbo and bike with you? Maybe a brompton will fit on certain turbos? Might be worth investigating if you can pack one in the car or even a suitcase.
  • technogym are actually pretty good
    i use lifecycle both stationary and spin bikes, very good workouts (i prefer spin bikes)
    when travelling i always carry a skipping rope. very light and portable, best single pice of workout equipment.
  • s25scd
    s25scd Posts: 84
    hopper1 wrote:
    I spend a lot of time away, using much the same equipment as you do, and although it's not perfect, I'd rather be on one of those machines than nothing.
    I have used wide tie wraps in the past, to keep my feet on the pedals.
    The rig I'm on at present has no gym equip, whatsoever, and I'm hassling my company everyday for the kit that I specced. Hopefully it'll be here by March!
    I don't care if it's TechnoGym, or Argos!... As long as the pedals go round.

+1 Hopper, I work on those floating scrapheaps aswell, sometimes down in Afrca and just getting anything to train with is a bonus. Seriously pisses me off when I go away and interupts my trg program!! How dare they make me work :lol:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    When you look at the cost of the Professional Gym bikes, I know they have to withstand a lot of use, but surely the WattBike is designed for that?

I know the TechnoGym just has a major pain saddle.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    +1

The gym I go to (there is only 1) has 20+ bikes but they're borderline dangerous with loads of sharp corners. The pedals all wobble too.

So I started running and I've really got into it. I was worried it was too high impact, but I'm running 25-35 miles a week now without any of the niggles and aches I thought I'd get. I'm doing a half-marathon in a couple of weeks. I know the OP said NOT RUNNING, but that's what I thought until I started to take it seriously.
  • I always ask if they have a spinning studio, if not I resort to a run, which really depresses the s**t out of me but is better than nothing. At the very least I'll use a stopover in a soul less hotel room to do some core stabilty work.