Brake Pad Life (Shimano Sora)

bakerstreet
bakerstreet Posts: 108
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Greetings

Bought my Giant in October of last ear. Been happily commuting in it since then along with the odd Sunday ride. Done just over 700km now.

I have gathered that the pads are considered nearly worn out when you can't see the grooves anymore. Can someone confirm if that is right?

You cant see the grooves on the rear, but the front still has a bit to do. Is 700km all I should expect out of a set of brake pads?? Wheels on the Giant are standard Mavic MXP22s. I do rub them down every few days with baby wipes, but I didn't do that from the start.

Thanks in advance :D
2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
1999 Carrera Integer MTB
2014 Planet X SLX

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Depends how you've been riding, but Sora brakes are known to be poor. You may even find the pads aren't even Sora ones. Just bin em and buy a set of Kool Stop Salmons as per link. Once fitted be sure to clean of rims regularly as grit on the rims will wear the pads out quicker. As a guide my summer bike had not even worn it's Ultegra pads down halfway in 10000km - dry weather only. My winter bike does about 5000km on a set. I live in the Mendip Hills so use them a fair bit also.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura- ... e-inserts/

Best of luck with the Salmons :wink:
  • ADIHEAD wrote:
    Depends how you've been riding, but Sora brakes are known to be poor. You may even find the pads aren't even Sora ones. Just bin em and buy a set of Kool Stop Salmons as per link. Once fitted be sure to clean of rims regularly as grit on the rims will wear the pads out quicker. As a guide my summer bike had not even worn it's Ultegra pads down halfway in 10000km - dry weather only. My winter bike does about 5000km on a set. I live in the Mendip Hills so use them a fair bit also.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura- ... e-inserts/

Best of luck with the Salmons :wink:

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty heavy on the brakes. I do a fairly urban commute and I prefer to use brakes to stop rather than car bumpers :lol:

I'll take the plunge and buy Salmons and maybe look at 105 calipers in the long run.
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX