Tour d'Egypte

pomtarr
pomtarr Posts: 318
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Curious one this...

Due to run 8th-13th Feb, Not usually a hotly anticipated race I know, but you wonder what happens now - does it go ahead or not? You'd imagine the latter, but I can't find any announcements stating it's been cancelled. Meanwhile the political crisis has been going on for about 10 days and there are 3 days to go till the race is meant to start.

Links (none of which shed any light...
http://www.cyclingarchives.com/wedstrijdfiche.php?wedstrijdid=1999
http://paris.thover.com/UCIcyclingcalendar/race/38/tour-d-egypte.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_d%27Egypte
Nothing on the UCI site either :roll: or Cyclingnews
"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Wow. It's been going a long time, and I'd never even heard of it.

I feel sorry for the organisers- all that hard work then suddenly, totally outwith their control, it all goes up the swannee. Or the Nile.

And the riders- what if the Tour d'Egypt was the highlight of their professional year?

But you would think, and hope, that they'll at least post-pone it.
  • Won't be able to postpone for too long, the temperatures will start climbing soon.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • pomtarr
    I've actually just emailed the UCI to ask if the race is going ahead and whether or not there will be an announcement from them.

[starts holding breath in anticipation of a swift and efficient response from aforementioned governing body]

Can anyone think of any parallels with other races due to be held in hotspots/warzones/disputed territories? What happened?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There was racing in occupied France during WWII - the Germans asked the tour organisers to carry on as normal nut they refused. Other race organisers weren't so squeamish - well that or they were forced into it.
  • pomtarr
    An immediate reply from the UCI (I retract my previous sarcastic comment about their efficiency!).
    Dear Tom,

Tour d’Egypte and Grand Prix of Sharm el-Sheikh have been postponed. We do not know yet the new date but it could be in May.

We remain at your entire disposal for further information.

Best regards,
  • Ask them another question about doping, but make it connected to your original one eg. "Will [insert Rider X's name] be riding or will they be banned by then?"

If they're entirely at your disposal...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    pomtarr wrote:
    An immediate reply from the UCI (I retract my previous sarcastic comment about their efficiency!).
    Dear Tom,

Tour d’Egypte and Grand Prix of Sharm el-Sheikh have been postponed. We do not know yet the new date but it could be in May.

We remain at your entire disposal for further information.

Best regards,

+2

Deeply Impressed- on first name terms with the UCI. Maybe we could smuggle you in and you could interrogate Pat. I've got some spare cable ties.