Newbie! Which raised stem for Specialized Rockhopper 2011?

Endantic
Endantic Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Have just ventured back into MTB territory after not-so-brief absence. Love this bike but need more raise on the stem. Standard stem is 7 deg. and I am looking at something more like 20 or 30...stops numbness and pain from over-reaching. Any opinions on adjustable stems or advice on good raised (fixed) stems welcome. Thanks :D
I rise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. E.B White

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a riser bar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Haven't considered a riser bar to be honest but willing to if a better option- in what way would that be better than a different stem?
    I rise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. E.B White
  • cooldad
    Probably just more choice than with stems
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have looked at a few bars online and they all seem to have 6 to 9 degree of rise/sweep on them, and I know that if I was looking for a stem I would need around 20 degrees.

Do bar dimensions work differently to the stems ie..would I get the same positioning result from a bar with less angle - can't seem to find any with a raise of more than 9.
    For info I will probably be doing more XC riding than serious 'downhill-idge'!
  • cooldad
    Endantic wrote:
    I have looked at a few bars online and they all seem to have 6 to 9 degree of rise/sweep on them, and I know that if I was looking for a stem I would need around 20 degrees.

Do bar dimensions work differently to the stems ie..would I get the same positioning result from a bar with less angle - can't seem to find any with a raise of more than 9.
    For info I will probably be doing more XC riding than serious 'downhill-idge'!

You need to be looking at the rise - 1-4 inches normally. Sweep will bring the ends of the bars backwards, but where in relation to your hands depends on the width.

Stem rise depends on angle and length.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks - that helps. Hopefully will find something that does the job armed with that info