Hello to all, a newbie question about a fork upgrade.

Phill B
Phill B Posts: 71
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
About 3 weeks ago i bought a new cannondale sl5 (2010 model).
i knew before i bought it that the front forks are crap (RST Omega tnl) but i realy like the frame geometry and it feels just right for me. i am happy for now with the components that are on it, although i have put some nano tech flat peddles on and am very happy with them.

The question is, i want to upgrade the forks and have around £200.
do any of you guys have any recomendations? or will £200 not give me much of an upgrade from what is already on my bike.

Thanks in advance, Phill B.
Hills hurt but sofas kill.

Comments

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    200 quid will get you a nice set of forks that will massively improve your bike, I ditched the crappy suntours on my bike for some Rockshox Toras and couldnt believe the difference:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54858
  • I have nano tech pedals and they awesome. recently upgraded my forks from crappy suntours that came on my cube to rock shox recons which cost me £100 and they have made an amazing difference. Amazing price too.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th-lockout

Like yourself i had £200 budget and got these so saved myself £100. Next day delivery too.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • +1 for the Recons from On-One. Best fork around for less than £200 IMO. However if you can stretch your budget, £243 gets you some Reba's from Merlin.
  • Thanks for the replies chaps. have been looking at the recons for a couple of weeks but i couldnt find any reviews for them so i wasnt sure is they are any good (the £100 price tag seemed too good to be true). i think i will go for them and see how i go, plus that will leave £100 in my bike kitty towards any futher upgrades in the future.

Once again thanks for the help.
  • Phill B wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps. have been looking at the recons for a couple of weeks but i couldnt find any reviews for them so i wasnt sure is they are any good (the £100 price tag seemed too good to be true). i think i will go for them and see how i go, plus that will leave £100 in my bike kitty towards any futher upgrades in the future.

The forks on the link have a 1"1/8 steerer where as i'm pretty sure the Cannondale you have has a 1.5" head tube.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Muttly1981 wrote:
    Phill B wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps. have been looking at the recons for a couple of weeks but i couldnt find any reviews for them so i wasnt sure is they are any good (the £100 price tag seemed too good to be true). i think i will go for them and see how i go, plus that will leave £100 in my bike kitty towards any futher upgrades in the future.

The forks on the link have a 1"1/8 steerer where as i'm pretty sure the Cannondale you have has a 1.5" head tube.

Yes you are right mate my cannondale does have a 1.5" head tube, is there anything i can do about this I.E. change the head set or am i f**ked?
    i am sorry if i sound dumb but it is all new to me.
  • gasgas
    gasgas Posts: 33
    you will probably get a better deal on some 1.5 as they are less common and bike shops usually struggle to shift them, have a look on chain reaction they had loads of bargain 1.5 forks on there about a month ago when i was looking to upgrade.
  • Phill B wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Phill B wrote:

Yes you are right mate my cannondale does have a 1.5" head tube, is there anything i can do about this I.E. change the head set or am i f**ked?
    i am sorry if i sound dumb but it is all new to me.

You can get a seducer head set to convert to 1 1/8" but you can kiss goodby to that £100 you saved :? CRC have some good deals on 1.5" forks but are just above your £200 budget, but it's a shame you havn't got a tapered headset as the have a £750 Fox fork with £500 discount :shock:
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Just been looking on Evans website and although it states 1.5" headset it lists the RST fork as having a 1 1/8" steerer so it looks like you will be ok afterall 8)
  • Best to take your current fork out and have a look before parting with your cash !
  • i upgraded my rock shox darts to reba sl's and the difference is night an day ! :lol:
    they cost me* (my dad ) £269.99 from merlin cycles.
  • Muttly1981 wrote:
    Just been looking on Evans website and although it states 1.5" headset it lists the RST fork as having a 1 1/8" steerer so it looks like you will be ok afterall 8)

You are right muttly, i was on Evans website earlier trying to find out some info and i noticed the bit about the RST fork having a 1"1/8 alloy steerer.
    Anyway i have since removed my RST Omega fork to double check the steerer size and it is 1"1/8 so happy days.