Re-patching a tyre

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited February 2011 in The workshop
I came down this morning and saw my front wheel was flat on my Orbit - pretty annoying as I've already had one bike out of service this week because of broken spokes!! I found the air was escaping from a previous repair which had come loose. So, was wondering if it's worth trying to stick this patch back down or take it of and put another on, or if I should just give up and get a new tube.
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    If you got a new tube handy, stick it in and get yourself going. Repair the faulty one later.

If you ain't got a new tube, re-do your patch and get new tube for next time.

I always keep a couple of new tubes in garage.

Whilst you can start riding a patched tube within 10 minutes, I prefer the leave the patch under a heavy object overnight for it to seal properly.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    If you got a new tube handy, stick it in and get yourself going. Repair the faulty one later.

If you ain't got a new tube, re-do your patch and get new tube for next time.

I always keep a couple of new tubes in garage.

Whilst you can start riding a patched tube within 10 minutes, I prefer the leave the patch under a heavy object overnight for it to seal properly.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You'll have to peel the old patch off, biin it and replace. Can you quickly run through your patching method (as it's pretty unlikely for a patch to fail if it's been correctly applied)?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mr Tom
    I think the patch that failed was one I did pretty quickly in a carpark when I was out on a long ride, so probably a pretty bad job! I was reading about how to fix a puncture the night before strangely enough and did the new repair like this - roughen the surface with sandpaper, apply a layer of glue and wait for it to dry (10 mins), apply another layer and wait until it's tacky, press the patch on firmly, grind up some of the chalk and put this on any glue around the edge of the patch. Let me know if this sounds about right :D
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Ridgeback Envoy
  • Sounds good to me, although it's hard to allow the glue to dry when it's raining...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    New tube and then patch the old one as a spare.

I never try to patch on the roadside as the last attempt ended up with me getting hypothermia on the roadside 3 weeks ago on the way to a night shift when i got a double flat and the glue was not setting in the cold.
    I now carry 2 tubes on top of the patch kit as it easier to change the tube then patch at your leisure.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Mr Tom
    Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Trying to fix a puncture in the dark in the middle of winter must be an ordeal! I'll order a couple of spares.
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Ridgeback Envoy