Deore shifter window

scandalousg
scandalousg Posts: 121
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi, I've just fitted some new brakes to my bike and want to use single finger braking however, at the moment I have the shimano deore gear shifters with that little windo to tell me what gear I'm in. I can't seem to set up the single finger braking as it would take the brake leavers too far away and I can't fit then inside the brake at the moment due to the overlap that little window creates.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a modification that can e made to the gear shifter to sort this out. Anyone know what I mean?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    On most Deore shifters the window cannot be removed.
  • Thanks Supersonic. Guess I'll be saving the pennies up then or trying different handlebar combinations.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I want to do the same, need to upgrade to at least SLX shifters to get removable windows.
    Can get a pair here just under £40
    http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Shop-By-Br ... _1440.html
  • I have same shifters but have no problems with one finger braking as my brake levers are not that long. I dont know if buying shorter brake levers might be cheaper for you but could be worth checking out.

Ive used the woolly hat shop a few times, would recommend them.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For a proper one finger (DH style) set up you would need to move the shifters to the other side of the brake levers to allow you to move the brake levers in far enough but still be able to reach the shifters easily.
  • Or XTR or Matchmaker.
  • Having looked at my deore shifters there are screws holding the top part of the shifters and window to the base, Can this not be removed and replaced with a new top part without the shifter window. Hope this makes sense, it seems like a logical solution.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Scandalousg, I was in exactly the same quandry as you with my Deore shifters. I don't think there's a way round it; not that I know of, anyway. I got some XT shifters, removed the window (exposed holes are then covered up with the included blanking plates) and placed the brakes inboard for one finger braking. Apart from the obvious advantages of one finger braking, I have to say the upgrade to XT shifters was worth it for their performance. However, I would've been happy to stay with my Deores if the windows could have been removed. Maybe have a look at the SLXs mentioned above if you're just looking for one finger braking; no point in spending more if that's all you're after.
    After uphill there's downhill