Hey all - my MTB days are gone, I am now single speed

Graeme_aberdeen
Graeme_aberdeen Posts: 156
edited February 2011 in Road general
Hi All

Just joining the world of single speed soon (await delivery of a charge plug freestyler) and I can't wait.

I was wondering why there is still quite a bit of downward looks and up turned noses at single speeds...from the "it's dull and uninspiring having one gear" to "oh it's just a fad you will get bored"....I dont understand the tribal nonsense really,, after all it's a bike, and we are the engines..

just wondered what people thought is all...

anyway...off to look at my new bike and press the courier tracking button over and over and over for 5 hours today ..;)
I like bike, bike is bike.

Comments

• Enjoy the bike :) an as you say don't worry about the tribalism and fad thing.

Have you considered riding it 'fixed'? I'm assuming it changes from fixed to free easily enough?

But why loose the MTB?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • lost the MTB as I've just no room for two bikes, plus i've lost the feeling for them.. .it may come back later on, but just not for now.. no harm done.

Its going to be a Charge Plug Freestyler, I am sure it will, I can have a word with my LBS though, they're pretty good.
    I like bike, bike is bike.
  • There is something simple and great about single speed bikes. Only people that have ridden them know the feeling. That's why the people that haven't call it a fad and the people that have know that it isn't.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    MAX_LT wrote:
    There is something simple and great about single speed bikes. Only people that have ridden them know the feeling. That's why the people that haven't call it a fad and the people that have know that it isn't.

Couldn't agree more. Trying single free this winter for both three hours plus rides at the weekend to get cadence up and improve quads strength to improve TT times over 10 to 50 miles. Its definately improved cadence and feel stronger (time will tell) but most of all it is addicitve and I thoroughly enjoy it (but couldn't really say why).
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    Agree with all the above! I wanted to build my own bike so went for a singlespeeder for the simplicity. Pompino frame, Alpina carbon fork and Miche drivetrain. I love it! Borrowed a mates geared bike but just don't need all the extra gears and weight. Gets you mega fit too!
    8)
  • +1 there for the fitness and simplicity.

I've had a Genesis Flyer since 2008 and use it almost daily. I've only cleaned it twice in all that time, and the only servicing I do is running some FineLine oil over it every now and again.

It performs flawlessly come rain or shine, the Reynolds steel tubing soaks up the bumps nicely on London's pothole-riddled roads and it's comfy too thanks to the Gatorskins and Arione.

Best bit is because it's a bit scruffy looking now, I don't worry TOO much about leaving it locked up.

What's great about SS riding is you instantly know how fit or unfit you are as you have a benchmark to pit yourself against. Good example is Pentonville Road from King's X climbing up to Angel. If I whizz up it seated, I know I'm in fine fettle. Other days I might run out of steam and have to stand. It's hard to guage this on a geared bike unless you consciously stick to one gear on a particular stretch of road...

I've also ridden a Charge Plug and it's a very smooth operator - even better for taking the hits for some reason - but IS distinctly more heavy and leaden-footed.

Horses for courses I guess. Either way, SS is not a fad and is here to stay. Happy riding....!! 8)