Your favourite ride...

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Of all time (so far!): probably the Telegraphe + Galibier from the North, for the sheer challenge of it, but also the intensity of the ride, the variety of the landscape, the history of the location and the sense of achievement on arrival at the other side of it.

In the UK (so far): probably the circumnavigation of Arran, so much variety in a 56 mile circuit.

Locally (having done it all): any route that includes the road between Newburgh and Wormit (for the views along the Tay) and the ascent of Glenfarg (for the most benignly gradiented long climb that always makes you feel fitter than you really are!)

Special mention: Crossing O Cebreiro on the route to Santiago de Compostela which, for all kinds of reasons, was the most memorable touring adventure the lads and I have ever had.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    October 24th 2010.
    25C and Very Sunny.
    Burgau, Algarve, Portugal.

Met up with the Lagos Road Bike Club in Lagos 9am then 22 of us went from there to....

Odiaxere - Mesquita - Algarve Park Autodromo - Zanganilha (18% stretch) on Monchique Mountain range now then fantastic descent through 13 hairpins (12%) on perfect flat tarmac and no traffic to Passil in unbelievably beautiful countryside on to Foz de Arrio then fantastic valley road with ace tarmac for 10k then up 7km climb to Monchique village for coffee and custard cake then return from Monchique via Nave then fast slightly undulating road with breathtaking view to Casias where left and fantastic descent 50mph in parts to Montes de Cima then join route back at the Autodromo for Lagos stop at Cafe opposite Lagos Marina for Coffee and Coke and debrief in Glorius sun.
    Dress code HRM, summer vest, mitts, short sleeve cycling shirt with matching bibshorts, short summer socks, cycling shoes, bandanna, shades and cycle helmet, oh and don't forget the sun cream and shaved legs a good option. 8) 125km of heaven. Back to the Vila for a chill in the sun
    8)

No need to explain why I think it speaks for itself :lol:

Some pics of my winter visits over the last few years here.......

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... ed0e427dcb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 08e17e5b70
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Stafford - Nantwich simlpes lovely countryside on a main road that isn't too busy.
    Justice for the 96
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    pshore wrote:
    Wales. Llanidloes to Machynlleth.

***** of an ascent on a fully loaded touring bike but the descent into Machynlleth is simply gob smackingly stunning.

I know this well there is a series of ups and downs straight out of Llanidloes chevrons on OS map then a left about a mile or so past Staylittle then over the mountain road which is a steady ascent then steep descent down and on through Froge, cattle grid, golf club and into Mach. The mountain road is much harder in reverse which I have done a few times, most memorably on the 300k Wrekin To The Sea audax, Wrekin being Wellington near Telford and the sea being Aberystwyth :!: plenty of climbing on this baby.
    Also your ride is taken in on the Trans Cambrian Sportive from Rhayader which after the first feed at Mach carries on towards Aberystwyth but turns left at Tal-y-bont then fantastic climb up to the Nant-y-moch reservoir and back down to the A44 where right to Devil's Bridge. On your ride you could incorporate this but instead of turning right for Devil's Bridge you could turn left on the A44 and on to Langurig (Wye Valley) but shortly before joining A470 take minor road left and climb up to very pretty lane (scenic route indicated on OS map) to complete your circuit back to Llanidloes. :D
  • In Scotland

Start at Ballachulish
    short ride to Appin
    take ferry to Isle of Lismore
    ride to other end then ferry to Oban; stay o/night
    next day take a ferry to Craignure on Isle of Mull
    cycle up to Tobermory
    ferry to Ardnamurchin
    cycle back to Ballachulish

A brilliant 2-3 day circuit
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Starting in Passau in Germany, going along the beautiful Danube bike path towards Vienna. I lived there for years and was spoiled. If you go inland on either side of the river you have great hills and it's spectacular when you come out on the top. Well worth a visit for people who've never considered a holiday in Germany. The weather's great in summer in Bavaria, too. This picture will show you what I mean:

http://static.bergfex.at/images/sized/c2950820640.jpg
  • neilo23
    It really is. There are only a couple of short stretches where you need to ride on the (quiet) road. On good days I would ride from Passau to Linz and back (about 170 km) and even after 8 years I would still find myself loving every minute of riding in the area. A decent rider can ride from Passau to Vienna in about 4 - 5 hours and the whole route is gorgeous. I wish I still lived there :cry:
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    neilo23 wrote:
    A decent rider can ride from Passau to Vienna in about 4 - 5 hours

:shock: who, valentino rossi?! having driven that route many times, no way jose
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • neilo23
    Make that 6 hours for a good club group or about 8 or 9 for a mortal. My mistake:oops: . I knew someone who did it in 6 1/2 hours. Dunno where I got the 4 hours from. Still a fantastic route, though
  • Alain Quay wrote:
    In Scotland

Start at Ballachulish
    short ride to Appin
    take ferry to Isle of Lismore
    ride to other end then ferry to Oban; stay o/night
    next day take a ferry to Craignure on Isle of Mull
    cycle up to Tobermory
    ferry to Ardnamurchin
    cycle back to Ballachulish

A brilliant 2-3 day circuit

An enjoyable circuit and would be enhanced by a wild camp next to the lighthouse at Ardnamurchan.

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • Having done this twice, this has to qualify as one of my best ever day rides.

Starting at Die in the Drome, climb the Col de Rousset 1397 metres high. From there ride through the high pastures to St Martin en Vecors (French WW2 resistance centre) and on to Villard climbing further up through the stunning Gorges de la Bourne. You finish in the winter sports venue of Villard de Lans, a town that loves cyclists.

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Circuit of Loch Rannoch- 26 miles of single track, with stunning scenery, see my avatar

Passes by the house I was born in.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hmmm....

I always enjoy cycling out from Hatton ('tween Derby and Uttoxeter) through the VERY minor back roads up to Alkmonton (so minor are these roads that one of them has grass growing down the middle!), throwing in a couple of sharp little hills, along the ridge to Ashbourne, drop into the town, then onto the Tissington Trail up to the High Peak trail.

The return loop veers off at Alkmonton and takes in some gorgeous little villages (Longford, Sutton on the Hill, some more bridleway (Etwall), more quiet roads then back through Tutbury and into Hatton.

64.25 miles - my 100K route that it just soooooo relaxing :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Caretera Austral in Chile
    cos it's 1600 miles of gavel steep climbs and a long way between villages etc...

amazing scenery

and lots of fabulous rough camping places......

perfect

https://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/CarreteraAustralChile#

george
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    So far it has to be the Trough of Bowland for me.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    any ride that i get home in one piece in. more importantly any ride that I have with my 41/2 yr old. always brings a smile to my face.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    To answer the question honestly, it has to be the petite, lingerie loving, yoga instuctor I used to see.

Ahh, memories...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
    Stafford to Nantwich, then go for an ice cream. :)
    Justice for the 96
  • KHodge
    KHodge Posts: 27
    Post your routes of about 70 - 90 words and they might end up on the letters page in Cycling Plus...Thanks!
    KHodge wrote:
    Post your routes of about 70 - 90 words and they might end up on the letters page in Cycling Plus...Thanks!

I've put my favourite ride on the route section.

Anybody else done the same?
    Justice for the 96
  • KHodge
    KHodge Posts: 27
    Thanks 1892, but we're still after your favourite routes! If you post them on here we know where to look. Go on...post it and maybe get in Cycling Plus and encourage our readers to try out your favourite ride!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Sa Calobra, 2011, and the whole week out in Mallorca
  • Home: La Cote, on Lake Geneva between Lausanne and Geneva, from
    Rolle or thereabouts, to
    Cossonay, to
    Croy, to
    Col du Mollendruz,
    descend to three km before L'Isle
    to Montricher, up cote de Biere to junction on Marchiaruz,
    descend to St Georges, Gilly and back to Rolle. 90 or so km and perfect tarmac with outstanding views.

Holiday: Dentelles from Beaumes de Venise to Malaucene, to
    Bedoin, to
    Mont Ventoux summit,
    descend to Maulaucene, to
    Vaison, then Seguret, Sablet, Gigondas, to
    Beaumes de Venise. 130 or so km. Astonishing.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Parliament Street to Wilford Hill In Nottingham. First 3/4 mile or so is downhill with a sweeping right then left bend. Sprint for the railway bridge. Coast down the other side. Pan flat for 1 1/2 miles with a few sets of lights thrown in. Turn right at Asda. After half a mile turn left onto the Cat 4 climb where my house is perched at the top. The ride home from work makes all the b*llocks of having to ride there at 4am in a thunder storm worth every suffered second.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    In Orkney. There is a figure of eight loop I worked out through West Mainland (big half of the largest island) that is just beautiful - miles of quiet open heath, lochs and ancient stone monuments to give it a kind of mystical air. Just love it.
  • Hello, first post here. :D

I have no route in particular, more, my favourite route is where I have a ribbon of smooth Tarmac under me, and I am able to fly on my Felt!

Hello, I am Douglas, I live near to Glasgow and I am an alcoholic. No, only kidding about the last bit. I have been on another cycling forum (not YACF) for quite a while and am just wondering what other people are saying about things, so, again, hello.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    My all time favourite is a rough stuff route taking in magnificent mountain scenery, beautiful Highland lochs and gorgeous Caledonian forest. Starting in Nethy Bridge over the Ryvoan Pass to Glenmore Lodge, left around Loch Morlich, on through Picadilly and across the Cairngorm Club footbridge to do the stunningly beautiful circuit of Loch an Eilein, back along a gated farm road to Coylumbridge, cycle path to Aviemore, Speyside Way through Boat of Garten back to Nethy Bridge.

I usually do it on a mountain bike but the descent of Ryvoan is the only section that would have to be walked if on a touring bike.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Just done the length of Wales from Valley on Angelsey to St Athan in the South. I have to say that smashing along and empty A55 at 0430 was amazing, as was the climbing and descents through Snowdonia as the sun came up, particularly Pen-y-Pass. Most upsetting section was the Craig climb out of Pontypridd - the hill that kept on giving!!