Isle of Man End 2 End 2011

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited February 2011 in XC and Enduro
Entries been open less than 48hrs and already over 1200 people registered :shock:

They did say they wont limit it this year, but if current interest continues, I'd imagine they'll change their minds. You can only fit so many people on the Island, let alone the narrow lane at the start!

In short, if you want to do it, best book up QUICKLY!

Comments

• boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Don't quite understand it tbh. Its certainly not the greatest course from a technical perspective. The power of Sky coverage I suppose!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • No it's not the most technical, but it's in a class of it's own - pretty epic, ask Mr Nick Craig himself, he seems to keep going back!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    No it's not the most technical, but it's in a class of it's own - pretty epic, ask Mr Nick Craig himself, he seems to keep going back!

He keeps going back as he constantly wins the race and has good exposure of himself on sky when they show it, plus an interview. Good PR for him and will boost sponsor money etc.
    It is good to do but as i did it last year i am in no immediate rush to go back.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Nick actually rated the Selkirk CRC as the "best" MTB marathon - and yes, he finished 1st there too! - there's a quote in the write-up for that event on this site somewhere. Not that IOM isn't worth doing - just I don't think it warrants 1200 entries in 48hrs!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • I think in previous years it's been limited to 1000, but they've upped it to 1500 this year. I don't think it's unlimited no's.

Couldn't believe how quickly it was filling up either though!!
  • I got my place booked easily enough at about 1am on the 1st, possibly the only benefit of working a nightshift that night!

Just had a look on the site and they've stopped entries now with 1404 entries in total :D
  • You can only fit so many people on the Island, let alone the narrow lane at the start!

You've obviously never been to the TT, I think the island's in danger of sinking during TT fortnight with the amount of people and bikes about :D
  • Perhaps I just haven't done enough mountain biking!
  • I've done it twice but not this year.

It's 2 days in expensive hotels (for what they are), a lot of hanging around and sea sickness both ways for just a 3hr 40mins ride.
  • You can only fit so many people on the Island, let alone the narrow lane at the start!

You've obviously never been to the TT, I think the island's in danger of sinking during TT fortnight with the amount of people and bikes about :D

Lol, as it happens, I've lived here my entire life, so yeh, I have seen a few TTs, not sure how that bares any relevance to what I was saying though. My comment was about the number of bikes on the lane up at the Point of Ayre, which has been getting busier and busier every year for the last 4 years since I did my first event. People who have a completely unrealistic idea of how fast they can finish clog up the start line causing mayhem at the start and then again at the bottom of Ballacobb when they all get off to push.

They limited entries to 1000 the year before last, and 1500 *last* year, but announced there would be no cap for this year. Clearly, nobody was expecting this amount of interest so quickly and as such, as I understand it, they've closed entries while they look into the absolute max workable number. Can;t imagine anyone who hasn't already entered or got on the waiting list will be getting in now though.

Ill be doing the Loaghtan Loaded 24 hour event on 18-19 June this year instead anyway. :D
  • I'm entered, was gutted when I heard it was full, then glad its been extended to 1700 people!

1489 is the current total, so there is still space if anyone wants to enter.

Now have something to aim at for the end of the year, make sure I'm fit enough for it.
    Washed up Has Been
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    John Moore wrote:
    I've done it twice but not this year.

It's 2 days in expensive hotels (for what they are), a lot of hanging around and sea sickness both ways for just a 3hr 40mins ride.

haha i totally agree. Last year on the 7am Monday crossing to Liverpool was terrible. Very choppy water and tiredness from the early wake up and racing the day before.

It is quite expensive for 2 days on the island and yes there is a fair bit of hanging around. Although i guess you can always get hammered on the sunday night if you don't have to be up too early on the Monday. Shame Douglas is dead on the Sunday night though.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.