Total newbie checking in

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Unsure if im having a midlife crisis or what :D but a few weeks ago bought myself a Revolution Triad 2 to basically get fit, have a good laugh and generally fall off.
Problem I am having so far is I have never owned a bike so taking it easy on cycle paths etc but plan on using it as its supposed to be used.
Any tips I can glean from ya'all will be appreciated.

Comments

• Welcome to the madhouse!

Stick around, you'll pick it all up easy enough!
  • if you want to build up your skills for mtb riding then you can get a lot out of the features on this website. There are companies around, like ours, that will gladly sell you beginner courses and training definitely makes a big impact. But you don't have to spend money if you don't want to - we wrote a load of features for this site and for What Mountain Bike magazine and they're all available online.
    If you need any help finding them just let me know and i'll dig up the links.
    Best if luck,
    Chris@CycleActive
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Probably the best thing is to build up slowly, which it sounds like is what you are doing, and feel your way around the bike, and just build your confidence.

Once you're confident enough to come off cycle paths, if you have any local woods or footpaths give them a go and feel how the bike and you react to different surface conditions, obstacles like tree roots etc. Remember shifting your weight around can help massively, especially when going downhill. Shifting weight to the back of the bike will stop you shooting over the bars, and will also go some way to stopping the back wheel from locking up under heavy braking.

Enjoy yourself. I've been cycling all my life and can't ever see a time when I don't want to. I
  • Yeh luckily enough for me I have a good few areas that I hope will be fun to ride through. Still having a blast learning this, although kinda sad a 30 something is just starting out. Cheers
  • the_Spooks wrote:
    Yeh luckily enough for me I have a good few areas that I hope will be fun to ride through. Still having a blast learning this, although kinda sad a 30 something is just starting out. Cheers

Not sad at all mate, i am 35 and just starting out (although was into mountain biking up until about 7 years ago) it beats slouching on the sofa and getting fat like most guys our age.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Phill B wrote:
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Yeh luckily enough for me I have a good few areas that I hope will be fun to ride through. Still having a blast learning this, although kinda sad a 30 something is just starting out. Cheers

Not sad at all mate, i am 35 and just starting out (although was into mountain biking up until about 7 years ago) it beats slouching on the sofa and getting fat like most guys our age.

+1 8)
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Welcome. The perfect sport for this fine country.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    You're never too old too start.
    Great sport and generally friendly out on the trails.
    Enjoy :)
  • blucky
    blucky Posts: 40
    I've just turned 35 and I've on my 2nd bike in as many years, nothing better then getting out with a few mates having good banter and more importantly... time away from IKEA,Tesco...etc........ and you get fit at the same time. perfect.
    ..................................................................................................

I own a cat called Gary !

Boardman Comp 2010
    Boardman Sport 2010
    Marin - Bear Valley SE 1992 ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Top tip. The clue is in the words Mountain Bike. Find a mountain, ride up it, ride down it.
    If still alive at the bottom, repeat.

Welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools