whyamihere Posts: 7,695
edited February 2011 in Your mountain bikes
It's arrived!

19012011044.jpg

Shown in this (crap) photo:
18" Scandal frame
Rockshox Recon Silver TK
FSA Orbit X headset

Got most of the bits, just waiting for a seat clamp, new stem and the cranks for my Carrera so free up the cranks currently fitted to that. Hopefully I'll be building it up on Saturday.

Comments

• Decided to get one then :)

1st impressions on the frame? Claimed weight accurate?
  • whyamihere
    1st impressions on the frame? Claimed weight accurate?
    Scales are at my uni house, so I'll only be able to weigh it when I get back later. It's certainly bloody light.

Seems to be pretty good. Headtube and BB are nicely faced, the paint finish looks better than it did on Andy's 456 when that arrived.
  • whyamihere
    What's this? A collection of bits?

24012011049.jpg

Almost everything I need for the build's here now. Just waiting on a stem and a couple of headset spacers (ordered), and I need to hear back from Superstar regarding a hose fitting.

Also:
    24012011051s.jpg

Frame, fork, headset, seatpost, saddle. Weight for this little lot is pretty much dead on 4.5kg, which isn't bad considering the heavy fork.

Finally, just for the hell of it:
    24012011053i.jpg
  • whyamihere
    It's built! There will be a new picture of the bike a bit later. At the moment, it's sat downstairs with the reservoir caps off, trying to get the last few air bubbles out of the system. The seals on my syringe that I used to use for bleeding have failed, so the syringe is officially dead, making bleeding a lot more annoying. Possible, but irritating.

First build spec:

On-One Scandal, 18"
    Rockshox Recon Silver TK
    FSA Orbit X headset

Front wheel:
    Shimano XT hub
    Mavic XC 717 disc rim
    DT Revolution spokes, 3x
    Panaracer Fire XC 1.8" tyre

Rear wheel:
    Shimano XT hub
    Mavic XC317 rim
    DT Competition spokes 3x
    Panaracer Fire XC 1.8" tyre

Shimano cranks
    XT front mech
    Deore rear mech
    Sram PG970 cassette
    Sram PC951 chain
    Shimano LX brake levers/shifters
    Shimano LX brake calipers
    Superstar hoses

PBK carbon seatpost
    Saddle off a Focus
    Exotic stem
    Bikehut alu riser bar
    Superstar grips
    Crank Bros Candy pedals

First proper ride will be tomorrow, with any luck. I can already feel, though, that the weak point is the fork, as well as the main area where weight is being added. So, planned upgrades whenever it becomes financially viable:

Fork: A Sid or Reba would be nice. Possibly a Manitou R7.
    Cranks: I want a lightweight 29/38 double, preferably.
    Rear mech: Purely because Deore's not very pimpy. I'll be on the lookout for a second hand XTR.
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Can't wait to see this finished!

These frames are so tempting, I don't know whether to buy one and put all the parts from my Scott on it. My Scott frame (link below) is starting to feel quite small and the top tube feels too short. would a scandAL be a worthwhile upgrade? I do mainly XC/ Trail, Red grade routes and very occasionaly an easy black :lol: . My wory is, would it take this type of riding? My scott is currently a medium 17" is it worth going for an 18" scandAL or 16" with a long seatpost?

btw, yours is looking very nice! :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12683651&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  • whyamihere
    Pics!

05022011054.jpg

05022011057.jpg

05022011059.jpg

I apologise for the crap pictures... My phone's camera apparently hates the light in our lounge. Weight is just under 12kg at the moment, the fork weighs more than a mid-sized family car.

Also, I really want a low-normal rear mech now. It just feels weird with a conventional one and the floppy levers.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Very nice, but IMO, black forks would look better.
  • whyamihere
    Very nice, but IMO, black forks would look better.
    I'm inclined to agree. These ones were £99 in On One's sale, down from about £250. Pretty much the only reason I bought them.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Sexy!
  • Nice - not sure about the red parts on the tyres though - overall looks great though! 8)
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    Nice looking bike & build. I like the white forks, although wouldn't mind seeing a few more special edition (i.e. other) colours in the market..
  • whyamihere
    Reevie25 wrote:
    Can't wait to see this finished!

These frames are so tempting, I don't know whether to buy one and put all the parts from my Scott on it. My Scott frame (link below) is starting to feel quite small and the top tube feels too short. would a scandAL be a worthwhile upgrade? I do mainly XC/ Trail, Red grade routes and very occasionaly an easy black :lol: . My wory is, would it take this type of riding? My scott is currently a medium 17" is it worth going for an 18" scandAL or 16" with a long seatpost?

btw, yours is looking very nice! :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12683651&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    It'll take all that and more, I reckon. I certainly intend to abuse it a bit. Mine's an 18", with a 90mm stem, and I'm a fairly normally proportioned 6' tall chap. It feels perfect.

So, just been out for a first little ride on it. It was only Sandwell Valley, which is fairly crap, but I managed to find a couple of little bits of singletrack. Despite having my near slick summer tyres on (as I knew there was going to be a lot of road work), the bike felt very planted and sure-footed. The wind made it tricky to really test out what it could do.

I definitely need a new seatpost. The one I have fitted is just a bit too short, I'd have to raise it above the limit line in order to get the saddle to the correct height. Worse than this, the single bolt clamp can't really cope with me sitting down over slightly bumpy stuff, and it loosened off enough for the saddle to tip back. I might try an Exotic one, as I really like the stem.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    post or the one i lost or a carbon one

I had the same problem with mine
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tk46hal
    tk46hal Posts: 138
    Great bikes!
    Post some pictures when you finish it!
  • whyamihere
    If the post in my road bike is long enough, for now I'll just swap that onto this bike, as it's a 2-bolt one. That SARS alloy one is bloody heavy...
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Cheers for the info Whyamihere!

that's good to know, I've heard a lot of people saying it should be ridden on fire roads and boring flat XC.
  • whyamihere
    It probably won't be happy with something like a 6ft drop to flat, but as long as you're not absolutely stupid on it, I reckon you'll be fine.
  • i dislike the white forks but otherwise that's a nice bit of kit :D:D
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Nice build!...I quite like the white forks, make a nice contrast :oops:

how do you find the recons despite the weight penalty?
  • whyamihere
    The white fork is growing on me actually. The fork's still brand new, so not broken in yet, i'll reserve judgement until it is. I was definitely appreciating the lockout the other day for the road parts of my ride.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I had a pair of those recons and i found them really impressive for the price.
    Like you say, Sids or Rebas will perform better and be lighter, but the recons are far from a poor fork. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity