Weight Loss Thread!

mossmotorsport
mossmotorsport Posts: 356
I have read about Dave's success (davepiggott13) and it's inspired me to do something about my weight. I'm 23 and weigh 18st (42 inch waist!) :oops: . I have a Specialized Stumpjumper HT at the moment which I have just put a semi slick rear tyre on, and SPD pedals. My plan is that if I post up here at the end of each week (or 2 weeks?) then I can keep a track of weight loss, and others can maybe follow too - especially in the run up towards xmas!

I plan on doing 3 10 mile rides each morning or evening (as its getting dark most likely AM) on roads initially. Main reason for wanting to get fit is so that I can enjoy the trails more without getting knackered so quick! I would love to learn how to jump too and possibly move into downhill.
Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010

Comments

• 3 10 mile rides everyday? Or is that in a week?

Sounds good so far, i've been on the track of weight loss since February of last year, and since then i've lost a fair bit of weight, but more importantly my belly has drastically reduced and my legs are starting to actually look manly.

Best of luck with yours, i've got about 7kg more to lose before i'm at my ideal weight of 80kg.
  • Week 1 - lost 4lbs

Unfortunately the bike is at Halfrauds having bigger brakes put on - and a service, but once I get it back I'll be on it most days.

MountainMonster - 3 10 mile rides a week ;-)
  • Good luck on the weight loss, and at keeping it off (bloody stuff creeps back on when you are not looking!)

I tried going for a run this morning- wasn't far, and had added fun of patches of black ice!
    Decided as time was short a 20 min run was better than nothing! (and I find stopping on ice on foot easier than stopping a bike on ice!)
    (more like a 20 min run/walk/wheeze!)

:oops: :oops: :D
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Three of us ride around Kettering on a Thursday evening. Start from Lakeside drive area and head around the woods and paths by the new Holiday Inn, usually with an excursion into the woods behind Brambleside.
    It's a sociable pace usually doing about 12/13 miles in a couple of hours, drop me a line if you ever fancy tagging along.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Three of us ride around Kettering on a Thursday evening. Start from Lakeside drive area and head around the woods and paths by the new Holiday Inn, usually with an excursion into the woods behind Brambleside.
    It's a sociable pace usually doing about 12/13 miles in a couple of hours, drop me a line if you ever fancy tagging along.

That sounds really good actually - and I'm free on Thursdays :) I'll work on improving my fitness for a short while first - I wouldn't want to hold anyone up!
  • Best of luck to you. If you stick at it and make sure you get out on a ride when you've said you will, you'll do well. Just remember that your diet is as important (if not more important), so start making small changes with that too.

Around two months ago I decided to put a bit more effort in to my cycling training and my diet. No huge changes on either side, but small changes made where I can/when I can. I've lost 13lbs so far and aren't too far off what I'd consider my 'ideal' weight.

Stick at it :D
  • Keep at it :) It takes a long time to start with. When I started, I weighed 19stone 13lbs. Now I weigh 15 stone 12lbs and have gone from a 44inch waistline to a 37ish inch one, over a period of 3 years. Aim to lose more but have had things in the way stopping me putting as much time into riding as I'd like to.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Hello from a newbie.
    I have also been on a wieght loss program,
    I was 18.5 stone in July 2010 and I am now 14 .2 stone. ( ideal wieght 13.5)
    I use the caveman diet ,eat nothing that as been processed,I eat plenty fresh fruit & veg(it,s cheap) fresh fish , no pies, pastry, sugar etc. only eat when I am hungry and drink plenty of water
    I ride, walk and swim on alternate days and do power bursts to train,and rest one day after the set. the rest of the time I ride my bike or hike for fun.
    never felt better.
    kind regards Paul
  • I started cycling again back in april after about 8yrs(Used to cycle to work). When i started i was Nearly 16 stone, with a combination of cycling about 30milkes a week and swimming i managed to get it down to 12stone in 3mnths.
    Oh and a senible diet. All i did was cut out beard and other high carb/starchy foods.
    Plenty of protein, veggies, salad and brown rice.(but not the atkins diet)
    The bit thing was portion size. :lol:
    Good luck :D
    00 carrea kraken SE(still going)
    09 M-trax 2.0ht
    11 Cube AMS 100 comp. 2011
    12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I started cycling again back in april after about 8yrs(Used to cycle to work). When i started i was Nearly 16 stone, with a combination of cycling about 30milkes a week and swimming i managed to get it down to 12stone in 3mnths.
    Oh and a senible diet. All i did was cut out beard and other high carb/starchy foods.
    Plenty of protein, veggies, salad and brown rice.(but not the atkins diet)
    The bit thing was portion size. :lol:
    Good luck :D

Jeeeezus....... your going to cut out beard....... :shock: :shock: That really is a deperate weight loss practice!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I've been pretty lazy over the last 3 / 4 weeks - 1st January is a fresh start!!
  • I weighed myself yesterday for the first time in 8 months and I am about 1 1/2 stone overweight, currently at 13.4 stone.
    I washed out on a ride about a month ago and hurt my wrist, but thankfully an x-ray showed no break and I am nearly ready to ride again. So come the New Year i will be strapping my wrist up and getting back on it.
    My target is to get to 12 stone and be ready for the Asthma UK Beach to Beach ride in May.
    I can't wait to get started!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i think i joined a similar thread last year but i'm determined this year to keep it up!!! (no jokes :D ) after seing pics of myself on holiday last week i'm a right fat fucker :(

i'm 5ft 9 and 14 stone, i'm quite broad so i don't want to be a skinny bean pole, but getting down to 13 stone is my target :D 12.5 would be ideal i think 8)
  • So - 8 days into the new year and who is keeping on track? I'm not so far....

Done 2 rides in the last 2 days though so happy about that - still eating crap though...
  • If you struggle for motivation, I find that getting a picture of yourself that you really dislike, that makes you look like a proper porker and sticking it somewhere that you see everyday, say in the bathroom or something. It helps give me the motivation to actually get out and do something about it.

Also if you start to feel like all the exercise you are doing isnt making enough difference, take a picture at the end of every week or fortnight and you will soon start to notice a huge difference.

Keep at it and you'll be at your goal in no time and feel so much better for it. I am currently on a drive to get fit for the second half of the season and to lose weight to get that beach body ready in time for a holiday in spain over easter!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Down about a kilo since the new year, hour long hometrainer rides everyday have helped.

My motivation is to show up my father in law. There's one mountain here (3 hours of climbing) that he manages to complete, and I taper off at about 3/4 and chill waiting for him to come back. I can't wait till I see his face when I make it to the top, so lots of training is in order!
  • 3 hours riding up hill. Awesome!

So far I haven't seemed to lose any weight, but have lost about 1.5-2 inches (41"ish to 39"ish from my waist. Been riding hard just 5 miles (with some steep coastal hills) 3 times per week. This week I will be doing 10 miles.
  • andymayhem wrote:
    3 hours riding up hill. Awesome!

So far I haven't seemed to lose any weight, but have lost about 1.5-2 inches (41"ish to 39"ish from my waist. Been riding hard just 5 miles (with some steep coastal hills) 3 times per week. This week I will be doing 10 miles.

Not bad, if the waist is getting smaller you're doing something right!

My normal trail I ride when weathers good enough starts off with about an 1.15 hours of climbing, and another 3 hours at the top till I get back down. It's always awesome!
  • I've just weighed myself - and lost 4lbs over the Christmas period. Can't be bad! I'm now the lowest I've weighed in a long time, so just got to keep up the good work!
  • I've just weighed myself - and lost 4lbs over the Christmas period. Can't be bad! I'm now the lowest I've weighed in a long time, so just got to keep up the good work!

Keep on chugging, this week i've lost roughly 2kg so far. It can be done!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    So - 8 days into the new year and who is keeping on track? I'm not so far....

Done 2 rides in the last 2 days though so happy about that - still eating crap though...

i'm not really keeping track of my weight just how i feel and how my clothes fit.

i've cut out chocolate and crisps and have only had 4 glasses of wine in 10 days, so i've pretty much cut out alcohol aswell. i've done a few sessions in the gym and a couple of rides and i feel good :D
  • Just joined a gym - so no lame excuses now. I've lost half a stone since this time last year (only been trying for a few months though!)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ay up guys, can i get in on the action with the weightloss? im currently 18 stone (i think) 6ft 2 so im told i carry it well....dont laugh!

but desperate to loose weight, ive been commuting the past week and did just over 50miles averaging 13 - 14mph

i will weigh my self at the end of the week an keep you all informed
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    ay up guys, can i get in on the action with the weightloss? im currently 18 stone (i think) 6ft 2 so im told i carry it well....dont laugh!

but desperate to loose weight, ive been commuting the past week and did just over 50miles averaging 13 - 14mph

i will weigh my self at the end of the week an keep you all informed

Welcome - come join in the fun. Sounds good - will be interesting to hear how much weight we can all loose in time for some good rides in the summer.
  • I'll join in too if I may.
    I was 19st 6lb as of 18th Jan 2010.
    1 year on I'm now 16st 6lb, but aiming for 14.
    I've started running as well as cycling (really shite winter for cycling).
    Just ran 8 miles tonight, which is probably the furthest I have ever run (deffinatly the furthet since I was a teenager anyway).
    Quite chuffed with the running and also how it translates to bike speed as well. Noticbly quicker on the uphills.
    I've booked into a half marathon in May, so the running is gonna have to continue for a few months.
    I am quite simply amazed to say "I enjoy running", just never thought I did or would.
    So if I can get down to 14 stone by May I will be over the moon (I'd be happy to get to 15 to be honest).

Keep on chugging, this week i've lost roughly 2kg so far. It can be done!
    :shock:
    2kg in a week !!!!
    Awesome man, keep it up fella.
  • I'll join in too if I may.
    I was 19st 6lb as of 18th Jan 2010.
    1 year on I'm now 16st 6lb, but aiming for 14.
    I've started running as well as cycling (really shite winter for cycling).
    Just ran 8 miles tonight, which is probably the furthest I have ever run (deffinatly the furthet since I was a teenager anyway).
    Quite chuffed with the running and also how it translates to bike speed as well. Noticbly quicker on the uphills.
    I've booked into a half marathon in May, so the running is gonna have to continue for a few months.
    I am quite simply amazed to say "I enjoy running", just never thought I did or would.
    So if I can get down to 14 stone by May I will be over the moon (I'd be happy to get to 15 to be honest).

Keep going - thats fantastic. Keep us posted!
  • 5 mile cross country run this morning.
    No booze so far during the week ( :shock: ).
    Gentle ride on MTB tonight just to loosen up and try and do some Heart rate trainning.
    Tried to run at 139bpm or less.......but couldn't keep it that low.
    I'll give it a shot on the bike tonight instead.

Right way too late for work :roll:

Edit
    So far this January
    Run 55 miles
    Cycled 16

Weight 16st 4lb
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Hey,

Love motivated threads like this. :)

17st 10lbs at the start of the year, currently down to 17st, 3lbs, counting calories and trying to do an 18 mile round trip off road to work each day (3 days a week usually at the moment). Would love to ditch about 4-4.5 stone in total, will see how it goes.
  • The secret to weight loss is your diet. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories. If your basal metabolic rate was say 2800 per day then the majority of that is actually heating and maintaining your body. A very small amount will be mobility function. As such the amount of excess calories burned during exercise is not as significant as say a calorie deficit of 1,000 a day. Eating 1,800 calories a day will see you shed around 2lb a week (that is a decent figure for a man whereas 1,400 a day for a woman is good). If you have a very active lifestyle then sure you would eat more, however you would still want to be in deficit to achieve weight loss. A good example of why this is would be an Olympic heavyweight weightlifter. These guys are supper strong, super muscular and also super fat mostly. This is because they eat above their total calorific requirement. They are though very fit due to the huge efforts they put in.

Diet for size and exercise for shape is how I guide myself.

I was 219 lbs at age 40 and shed 34 lbs in 14 weeks. I am now 182 lbs at age 42 1/2 and I maintain my weight through my general diet. I am fit and strong because I exercise.

I use www.fitday.com to monitor my intake and it is easy when you get going (as well as free).

Keep going, you will succeed.