Fork Movement

tobydickenson
tobydickenson Posts: 18
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a new 2010 Carrera Fury, with Suntour Epicon forks.

If I look down while braking I can see there is some play in the forks. Under heavy braking the front wheel moves backwards maybe 10mm. When stationary and rocking backwards and forwards there is maybe 3mm of movement.

I have not seen this on other forks before. Is this normal or a problem?

Thanks,

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Is it the fork lowers, or the whole fork moving?
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • The lowers
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Definately not normal. I would take it back and ask for replacement forks. Sounds like the fork bushings are busted in some way.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The former is the fork flexing under braking, most do it.

But actual play should not be there, or very very little. Can you feel the fork knocking.
  • There is definitely no knocking - that would have given me no doubt that there was a problem. "flex" is a much better description of what I am seeing.

In daylight tomorrow I will try to identify where the movement originates.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A bit of flex is perfectly normal til you get up to monster forks so it could be just that. You should have seen my mate's old Sids, they were like 2 bits of wet pasta.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Sounds like a mixture of fork flex (normal) and a loose headset (not normal). Just slacken off the two allen key bolts on the side of your stem, then tighten the one on top. Remember to re-tighten the two side bolts and problem should be solved.

Just a slight bit of play in the headset can be exaggerated in the wheel.

If you want to check for any play in the headset, hold the bike stationary and lock the front brake. Pinch the bottom of the headset - where the fork enters the frame - and rock the bike backwards and forwards. If you can feel any movement at all in the cups/seals, tighten the headset as described above.

Just to make it a little more tricky, you should never over tighten the headset as this will hinder steering and damage the bearings. Just tighten it and turn the bars to ensure its not too stiff.

If you're not sure about any of this - just take it back to Halfords where you got it and get them to tighten it for you.