ANOTHER 456 build! (poo brown content)-finished, pics on p2

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited February 2011 in Your mountain bikes
For those of you that don't recall, last summer, i started a build on an old commencal meta 5 frame, but after about 8 rides, the BB shell totally stripped, i've left it until quite recently, when i decided to just get rid of it, as it's more hassle than it's worth, and I ordered a poo brown 20" 456 frame a few weeks ago. Well it turned up today, and it's pretty nice looking! It's going down the bike shop for facing the bb shell etc and to have a headset fitted, and the fork (a pike) is also going down to be sent off to tftuned, as it's well overdue a service, and the seals are shagged.

As for the rest of the build, i'll be using the majority of the stuff off my meta build, so juicy 5's, hope hoops on DT EX500 rims, SRAM X.0 shifter and cassette, X.9 rear mech, single ring up front on a raceface evolve DH with some red bits scattered in there. I'll post the full spec when it's done, should be a couple of weeks from now, as I left some parts (the drivetrain and brakes) at my dad's and i'm going to have to get the train to go and get them.

Anyway, for now, a bit of a mock up as to how it will look!

p4pb6133046.jpg

p4pb6133044.jpg

Apologies for the crap photos, i'll try and get some better ones when it's fully built
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• That look sh!t!

Couldn't resist.

Good project though, I do like the array or colours that On-One seem to be producing atm.

How tall are you? I've never been able to decide if a 18" or 20" would fit me, I recall CWNT's 18" being very bloody small looking!
  • ilovedirt
    I'm about 6'1", my GT frame is 20", and that's been fine on the less steep downhill tracks and trail centre descents I've ridden, so it should be fine. You're right though, it does look pretty small for a 20".

I'd rather have had the orange or lime green that the summer season comes in, but I didn't really want that slack a head angle, so brown it is! It's kind of like a bronze-ish sparkly brown, pretty nice in the flesh.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    You should have bought the blue one ;)

It's looking good - pikes always go well on the 456.

@Northen Monkey - I'm 6'11" and ride an 18", and i'd say it was the right size for me. Remember that these frames are quite low, but they're also quite long...
  • red bits....does that make it a bloody s**t?? :lol:

very nice btw :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    Duffer wrote:

Not really a fan of the blue to be honest.
    Pike + 456 is a classic combination, for good reason :) Looking forward to hammering it down some hills!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Looks quite nice, and seems like you will be having a good time building that up with some nice parts!
  • Nice build. On-One bikes ftw.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Duffer wrote:

Not really a fan of the blue to be honest.

You're entitled to your opinion... It's wrong, of course, but you're entitled to it! :wink:
  • I was right at that limit though where a 20" would have probably been better to pedal up stuff, but not as good on the way back down. If I did it again, I'd probably go for the 20" tbh. (I'm 6ft btw)
  • coomber
    coomber Posts: 232
    Best colour on one I have seen.
  • ilovedirt
    I was right at that limit though where a 20" would have probably been better to pedal up stuff, but not as good on the way back down. If I did it again, I'd probably go for the 20" tbh. (I'm 6ft btw)
    Good to know, I was struggling as to whether to get an 18" or a 20", I think if I was going to use it for more DH/FR duties, i'd have gotten an 18" summer season, but I want it to be a good all rounder, so the 20" 456 seemed to make sense to me. I can descend perfectly well on my 20" GT anyway if I slam the seat right down.
    coomber82 wrote:
    Best colour on one I have seen.
    Cheers bud! It's even nicer in the flesh, I'll have to get a nice sunny shot of it once it's built up, to do it some proper justice.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • How tall are you for the 20" frame?

I thought I could do a 18" frame at my height, 6'4" and ordered a 18" Ragley Blue Pig in December. It looked tiny. Sold it and bought a 20" 456 SS.
  • Don't know what on earth gave you the idea an 18" Pig would fit you at 6'4". Absolutely every place sizes are quoted gives an ideal height of about 6', with absolute max of about 6'2".

Oh, and the Ragley 18" comes out slightly bigger than an On One 18" (having owned both, built with identical components).

Best surprise about the Brown 456 I had was the sparkly bits in the paintwork which is hard to get a camera to pick up but looks ace in the flesh.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm about 6ft1, so in between 18" and 20" really
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    I got the frame and forks back today, red hope headset fitted, BB, head tube and brake mount faced, fork serviced by tftuned, I should have it totally or almost built up by this time next week!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Should be good :)

I'm keeping an eye on the On One site for cheap 456/SS's. I need to get back on a hardtail, I really do miss it.
  • ilovedirt
    Well that's your own silly fault for buying such a nice full bouncer! ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Oh don't get me wrong, I love the commy.

Just miss a HT... in an ideal world, I'd have my commy and my NS :(
  • ilovedirt
    In an ideal world, i'd have a P7, a meta 5 and a 224, but we can't have everything!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Theres something truely special about building a bike in your uni room, i did it last year, and im doing it again this time fortunately with a slightly larger room!

I can't say im a fan of the colour but it looks like it'll make a nice project!
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    nice build.

I spoke to on one about their 456 frames and the guys responce was at 6ft 3" a 20" is a stick on - he said an 18" frame would look like a bmx for someone at my height!
  • ilovedirt
    I got it pretty much fully built today!
    I just need to sort the chain guide and gears properly, i'll be getting some shimano M520 pedals to use, as well as the flats, depending on application, and I'm going to need a new seat as well. I also have some red superstar bar ends on the way, and i'm thinking of changing the superstar laser chain guide to a superstar plasma. I just stuck the seatpost in for the photo, so it probably won't usually be that height. The brown with red components looks better than I expected it to anyway. Pretty chuffed! Gonna give it a good thrashing this weekend at Coed Y Brenin and Moelfre, can't wait!

Apologies for the crap pics, I'll try and get some decent ones when the weather is nice (don't hold your breath).

p4pb6187484.jpg

p4pb6187485.jpg

Specs are as follows:

Frame: On One 456, XL (20") brown
    Forks: Rockshox Pike 454 coil u-turn
    Bars: Pro FRS 710mm x 40mm rise
    Stem: Pro FRS 70mm
    Headset: Hope, red
    Grips: Superstar Lock on
    Bar Ends: None (red superstar ones on order)

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 5
    Front Caliper: Avid Juicy 5
    Front disc: Avid G2 185mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 5
    Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy 5
    Rear Disc: Avid G2 160mm
    Hoses: Standard Avid

Shifters: SRAM X.0 redwin red (rear only)
    Cables: *shrug*, standard cables
    Rear Mech: SRAM X.9 med cage
    Chain Device: Superstar laser

Seat: Bioflex arrow (temporary)
    Seat Post: Tioga
    Seat Post Clamp: Fire Eye

Cranks: Raceface Evolve DH
    Chainring(s): Blackspire 36t DH ring
    Chain: KMC
    Cassette: SRAM PG990
    Pedals: Superstar nano tech red, OR Shimano M520
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-type

Wheels:
    Rim: DT EX500
    Spokes: DT double butted
    Hub: Hope Pro II
    Tube: Airwaves
    Tire: Maxxis Advantage 2.25 front, Maxxis High Roller 2.1 rear
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    Slightly better pic here :)

p4pb6208110.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • coomber
    coomber Posts: 232
    I really like. My favourite colour on one!

I dont like the seat though to be honest - apart from that. Top drawer.
  • ilovedirt
    Cheers, i love it :)
    And i quite like the seat, haha. Though it is pretty firm!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5