Full Rapha kit....

2»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cougie wrote:
    I rode a Boris Bike in my Rapha jacket ? Is that a fashion faux pas ?

I was in full lycra on one on friday, I felt a right plum
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Do you not understand the word "Irony"?

Is this gonna be like the Southpark episode "Gayfish"?

Rapha spend thousands on marketing and "the image" and some dude rolls up on his old mudguarded hybrid and blows the whole Rapha "image" out of the water, probably wearing clothing that is more expensive than his bike.....Are you deliberately being thick here?

Who is laughing at the bloke on the bike? I like the fact that the whole image and chic was lost in one instant, by one dude on a hybrid - chapeau to him, he is clearly richer than I am. Damn right I am laughing at Rapha!! If the guy had been wearing DHB or something like that, I would not have started a thread, but because Rapha have placed themselves so carefully in the "cycling elite" - the concept of some dude wearing full Rapha and riding a hybrid makes a mockery of the whole thing!

Think about the guy who wears full Dainese Ducati motorbike leathers including the AGV Ducati helmet - then gets onto a Honda CB125 motorbike with "L" plates. Dainese market very specifically with racing bikes and hot chicks. Marketing fail, the point has been missed!!!

If you don't understand the thread then don't comment...I bet that you ride a hybrid and thats why you are annoyed. I'd be annoyed if I rode a hybrid....

Not that it is of any relevance but for the record I ride:

A steel audax bike
    A carbon road bike for best
    A folder sometimes.

I've never owned or actually ridden a hybrid, sorry to burst your bubble. I think you are backpedalling bigstyle here. Are you seriously saying that pointing out a full rapha outfit and hybrid with a "facepalm" picture is not meant to be taking the piss out of the rider in a "ha ha you think you're so cool but you ride a hybrid" way?? If the target is/was rapha thats pretty obtuse.

My impression is that you are one of the many people who sneer at rapha for whatever reason, almost certainly having never used any of their stuff.

The fact is that rapha bike wear (on the whole) is exceptionally comfortable and well made and performs brilliantly. The way they look is not the main point. These are the main reasons most people use them. This being the case the choice of bike is irrelevant. I have quite a few rapha items, all of which are great to ride in, I wear them whichever bike I'm using.

Presumably it is also hilarious (at rapha's expense not mine of course) that I would ride a folder as well as a rapha jacket and bibs?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,567
    hmbadger wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hmbadger wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Must buy some of this Rapha stuff to wear while riding my hybrid as it seems to wind up roadies quite nicely :) Or would a yellow jersey be better?

A yellow Rapha jersey?

Have I just demonstrated my ignorance of all things Rapha? If so, feel free to laugh at me.
    I meant one of those jerseys that the Tour de France leader wears...

Yes, but if Rapha did one then you could wind up roadies twice over....
    Maybe I will just buy a cheap yellow jersey and write 'Rapha' in marker pen on it, go scalping and wait for the abuse from any lycra clad scalpees :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Aguila wrote:
    Not that it is of any relevance but for the record I ride:

A steel audax bike
    A carbon road bike for best
    A folder sometimes.

I've never owned or actually ridden a hybrid, sorry to burst your bubble. I think you are backpedalling bigstyle here. Are you seriously saying that pointing out a full rapha outfit and hybrid with a "facepalm" picture is not meant to be taking the wee-wee out of the rider in a "ha ha you think you're so cool but you ride a hybrid" way?? If the target is/was rapha thats pretty obtuse.

My impression is that you are one of the many people who sneer at rapha for whatever reason, almost certainly having never used any of their stuff.

The fact is that rapha bike wear (on the whole) is exceptionally comfortable and well made and performs brilliantly. The way they look is not the main point. These are the main reasons most people use them. This being the case the choice of bike is irrelevant. I have quite a few rapha items, all of which are great to ride in, I wear them whichever bike I'm using.

Presumably it is also hilarious (at rapha's expense not mine of course) that I would ride a folder as well as a rapha jacket and bibs?

Lol - I don't believe it, you have taken this really personally!! Sorry, if your offended, but you can stop reading the thread!

"Thow doth protest too much" - are you feeling a bit guilty and trying to justify your kit expense, partner concerned about credit card bill?! I don't care about you, your bikes or your kit, it is irrelevent. You can buy into whatever you want for whatever reason you want.

I just loved the way that the marketing and hype was so lost in one moment.....I am very happy for Rapha kit owners and I am sure it is very good kit. It is interesting that most other manufacturers do not use such a specific marketing focal point....thats why their kit becomes a blur and not noticeable. Rapha kit is highly noticeable and comes with a tag due to the marketing exercise performed - and I quite enjoyed seeing people blowing that tag away, revolution people!!!!

Kinda like the Ferrari with the childseat....I am sure it is very useful, but the whole Ferrari marketing experience and racing heritage is blown out of water by the addition of a childseat! And if I could have a Ferrari, I would have to get a maxi cosi child seat for it!

I get the impression that you don't have a dark sense of humour, or a sense of fun and take yourself and your cycling very very seriously......lighten up!

What have I backpedalled on? Or are you being funny?

:-) Seriously, lighten up and don't take things personally - no one else has. :-)
  • If I lived in Bristol or Nottingham where the roads are silky smooth I would have road bike. As it is I live in London where the roads are trash, have a top spec commuter hybrid WITH mudguards and rock full Rapha gear, looking awesome 8) every day.

:wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I rode a Boris Bike in my Rapha jacket ? Is that a fashion faux pas ?

I was in full lycra on one on friday, I felt a right plum

Whose plum?

:shock:
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    So what should they have been riding?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,567
    If I lived in Bristol or Nottingham where the roads are silky smooth I would have road bike. As it is I live in London where the roads are trash, have a top spec commuter hybrid WITH mudguards and rock full Rapha gear, looking awesome 8) every day.

Very well put that man. Add 'proper brakes' to the list of plus points as well :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    You've obviously never been to Nottingham then!

And audax bikes are much stronger and practical than any hybrid 8)
  • Aguila wrote:
    You've obviously never been to Nottingham then!

And audax bikes are much stronger and practical than any hybrid 8)

I was trying to work out what Nottingham we're talking about as well :? You NEED a CX bike 'round these parts as the roads are off road when they're meant to be on road (as it were)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Bristol's not much better from memory. I was wondering where this mystical smooth-tarmac is. Always with this 'road bikes aren't comfortable/can't cope with a few bumps' nonsense.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    lemoncurd wrote:
    So what should they have been riding?

calfee_bamboo_08_m.jpg

Speaking of smooth tarmac, this bit of road is the best surface I have ever ridden on: http://goo.gl/maps/LGXy Its like riding on a conveyor belt.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    So I tend to commute wearing rapha fixed shorts and a rapha softshell jacket (at least this time of year). I ride a roadbike at one end, sit (stand) on the train in the middle and ride an old rigid SS converted mountain bike in town.

Is there a problem?

:evil:
    J
  • jedster wrote:
    So I tend to commute wearing rapha fixed shorts and a rapha softshell jacket (at least this time of year). I ride a roadbike at one end, sit (stand) on the train in the middle and ride an old rigid SS converted mountain bike in town.

Is there a problem?

:evil:
    J

Hope you've got a big net, GTV. You got a monster haul with this one. :lol:
  • Just gaff them behind the gills, they will feeel no pain.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If I lived in Bristol or Nottingham where the roads are silky smooth I would have road bike. As it is I live in London where the roads are trash, have a top spec commuter hybrid WITH mudguards and rock full Rapha gear, looking awesome 8) every day.

Makes you wonder how the pampered pros cope with the cobbles on Paris-Roubaix doesn't it? :roll:

Road bikes cope just fine.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Makes you wonder how the pampered pros cope with the cobbles on Paris-Roubaix doesn't it? :roll:

Road bikes cope just fine.

Yes, they do fine. I also find them comfortable.

However, my hybrid is not just comfortable, it is like riding on a cloud. I have a Selle Italia Max Flite saddle also which absorbs a lot of road flak.

I have ridden from London to Amsterdam, Oxford, Cambridge, Southend, Brighton and Dover all on this bike and it was a pleasure the whole way.

I'm not saying a hybrid is better than a road bike for London. It's subjective. I prefer it and I am capable of riding its heavy-framed, fat-tyred, heavy-forked body as far as I can with a road bike. I'm young, strong and fit. When I get off the bike at the end I've never felt sore in any part of me. Hungry and fatigued, but never sore. It makes cycling in London serious fun. Also, for sure I prefer the upright position and wide flat bars for navigating traffic. The suspension means you don't need to avoid the biggest potholes or sunken drains in traffic at speed.

I just kick back on my bike, pedal, take in the scenery and look awesome in Rapha! 8)

That said, if I didn't ride in the woods on the weekends also I may have got a flat-bar road bike. Probably a Boardman. Those are sweet.

edit - I also use flat pedals. Straitlines ;) They're awesome!