Fixie in Waiting

smokeysmoo2
smokeysmoo2 Posts: 31
edited March 2011 in Your road bikes
I've been toying with idea of creating a fixie for a while now, and have finally bitten the bullet.
My steed of choice? A 1988 Peugeot Aspin in Tulip Red. I know this wouldn't be the connosieurs choice, but it came up at the right time, it's a big frame which I definately need, and I got it for the right money, so for my first attempt it seemed pretty much spot on.
Mechanically the bike is fantastic, the whole bike is original with a Sachs Huret drivetrain, and I cannot believe how smooth it all runs. Even the Rigida AL rims and 'dreaded' Helicomatic freewheel are sweet! But having not ridden a bike like this since the 80's, and with being used to my carbon Focus and my Focus cross bike it doesn't half feel funny!
Never the less, the spanners are out and my fingers are twitching to strip her down and carry out a full, (hopefully pretty cool), fixie conversion.
I thought I'd stick her up here as I found her, state my intentions, then update it as I go. Be warned though, this is my first conversion and it 'aint gonna be quick!
Any tips, ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Wish me luck, I'm off to the shed!
[img][/img]img0145r.th.jpg

Comments

• I'm essentially in the process of doing exactly the same (substitute fixed gear for single-speed, and 1988 for 1986).

Stripping the old components was the hardest part so far - lots of hammer/brute force action.

I've ordered all the parts and will do the assembly this weekend, possibly posting to Flickr if I have time.

--

edit: here's a phone pic of why I'm converting: BB spindle snap while riding required new BB, decided to go further and rip out all the old stuff.

56743101503351649901176.th.jpg
  • Good stuff, keep us informed, would love to see it finished.
  • Hey amadeus_z, here you go, one finished fixed gear conversion. Like I said, it took a while, but then again I honestly thought it would take longer so I'm really pleased with the timescale.
    It hasn't come cheap, but then again I have gone for mainly all new components, so the bike is 99.9% exactly as I want it.
    sideviewstraight.jpg
    Hope it inspires you, good luck :D
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    So, you've got a Focus Cayo Pro and a Focus Mares AX 2.0. What point in having a 1988 Peugeot Fixed Conversion? I mean, how many miles have you actually done on it? And did you enjoy those miles, or did you wish you were on one of your Foucus bikes for every single one of them?

With the time and money spent on the Peugeot, you could have had a week or so cycling in Majorca.
  • Each to their own Berk Bonebonce, each to their own.
    My reason for this build was to satisfy an itch I've had for many years now, and I can now consider it well and truly scratched.
    Seeing as the Peugeot was only finished 2 days ago I naturally haven't done many miles on her as I do need to sleep at times.
    The point in having this bike is really quite a simple one, because I can, and as I like nice things I didn't want to just do another beater, I wanted a nice clean build using my own choice of components - again, because I can.
    I'll grant you, she'll never see the kind of mileages that my Focus bikes endure, but that's not the point of a bike like this in my opinion. I took her for a quick 10 mile shakedown ride when I'd finished the build, and for my first fixed gear experience it was awesome, a totally connected experience. It's very liberating hitting a hill and having to make do with your choice of rear cog and crankset instead of just shifting up a few notches, or droppping down a chainring, (or two), give it a go, you never know you might like it.
    Finally, with my fair hair and fair skin I tend to avoid any places with a relatively hot climate, Majorca included, oh yes, and the fact the Wife won't fly :D
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    You'll have to forgive me. I can maybe see the attraction of undertaking a fixed conversion, but I am not a fan of fixed bikes. Give me gears anyday.
  • No worries Buddy, I do like the option of choice.