Charity Rides

worcester19
worcester19 Posts: 21
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hello all i'm a newby on here and wondered if you could help.

I have not ridden for nearly 15 years and have decided that I would like to do a number of Charity rides this year starting with the Warwick 100 in April, Coast to Coast during the summer and hopefully some smaller ones in between.

My problem is that I do not have a bike and I am unsure of exactly what to purchase. I was hoping to pay upto £300 for a bike but I think that this may have been optimistic. I have sat on a Merida today and quite liked it but it is over my Budget.

I have seen on ebay some Viking bikes which would be OK price wise but I don't know much about the bikes themselves.

Or I do not mind a second or third/fouth hand bike - is there anybody on here wishing to sell one. I am 6ft tall and have been told that I need a 56cm bike and I live in Worcester

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Stephen

Comments

• re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    I tried a viking a while back and it was horrid! I was informed by the retailer that if you buy their top end stuff its OK, but the cheaper ones really weren't nice.

My LBS has a few meridas under the £300 limit (last years models I think), so a quick call to your LBS might be worthwhile.

Given the use you're looking to get out of the bike I'd be tempted to go down the used route Find a proven quality bike with a few miles on it...
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12577960

Don't know if you've had a read but it helped me alot as I only took to the saddle myself a few weeks ago.

Also I was warned to stay away from those Viking bikes, not %100 sure why yet but I'm starting to get an idea....

Happy hunting anyway.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • Cheers for the replies,

I have bought a Specialized Secteur 2010 model and got a good discount with it being last years model.

Now need to start training ready for the Warwick 100 miles in April.

Thanks again

Stephen