Cracked P-x nanolight?!

lef
lef Posts: 728
edited February 2011 in Workshop
...so I was tightening the band on clamp on my new nanolight to the 3.5nm torque setting that they'd recommended and I heard a crack. I removed the clamp and cant see a crack just a a slight impression of the clamp. Tapped the frame a good few times with a spoon and no difference in the sound around the area.

I guess Im just after a bit of reassurance / advice, could it be something not as sinister as a cracked frame and maybe the clamp moving across the frame? If I took it to the LBS are they going to check it in a way I've not already checked?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A physical crack would typically show-up as a white line in the gel-coat - I have an old frame with a few cracks so I know what they look like! Worthwhile aplying a smear of grease to the inside of the clamp band to ensure it tightenens evenly - the noise was possibly due to the friction between the parts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    now thats what I like to hear! the LBS thought the same. Well I shall remove and get some carbon paste applied to the band which should allow for a lower torque.