PTP calendar 2011

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Basically the same as last year, apart from the rejigged dates of the August races. Everyone OK with it? Anything you want out / in?
Feb    26 - Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

Mar     5 - Strade Bianchi
     6-13 - Paris-Nice
     9-15 - Tirreno-Adriatico
       19 - Milan-San Remo
       26 - E3 Prijs Vlaanderen
       27 - Gent-Wevelgem

Apr     3 - Tour of Flanders
      4-9 - Tour of the Basque Country
        6 - Scheldeprijs
       10 - Paris-Roubaix
       17 - Amstel Gold Race
       20 - La Fleche Wallone
       24 - Liege-Bastogne-Liege
     26-1 - Tour de Romandie

May  7-29 - Giro d'Italia

Jun  5-12 - Dauphiné Libéré
    11-19 - Tour de Suisse

Jul  2-24 - Tour de France
       30 - Clasica San Sebastian
     31-6 - Tour of Poland

Aug  8-14 - Eneco Tour
       21 - Vattenfall Cyclassics
    20-11 - Vuelta a Espana

Sep     9 - GP de Québec
       11 - GP de Montréal
       20 - Worlds ITT (Women)
       21 - Worlds ITT (Men)
       24 - Worlds RR (Women)
       25 - Worlds RR (Men)

Oct     9 - Paris-Tours
       15 - Giro di Lombardia

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Like a cold beer on a hot day, PTP you are back in our lives :D All looks good IMO.
  • Brilliant. Want a solid top 10 this year!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Target - make it through the whole season.

Likely sticking point - Tour of Romandie.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Argh I'll be making my PTP debut this.....I'm getting married on July the 9th and wont be back in from my honeymoon until the 24th! Disaster! May have to reconsider this marriage thing :?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Bring it on!

I'm always crap at the Tour de Romandie, so if you can ditch that one that would be cool - but as I can't think of a proper reason not to have it I fee; I'll have to live with it...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Poland - check
    Eneco - check

I'm in!
    Half man, Half bike
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Can't wait....I think this could be my breakthrough year!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Thank you monkey man you are a star!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • afx237vi
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Poland - check
    Eneco - check

I'm in!

:lol:

Rabo seem to have found a good sprinter in Michael Matthews, so it could be your year!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hurrah! PTP's back.

Only one teeny, weeny request, Mr Afx, Sir. Could we have some more women's races?
    Or even a separate Women's PTP? I realise you have to work, and sleep, but........
  • ridgerider
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Poland - check
    Eneco - check

I'm in!

:lol:

Rabo seem to have found a good sprinter in Michael Matthews, so it could be your year!
    Reading the Cycling News report about him, it was clear that the Rabo management have completely misjudged his ability...hey ho :oops:
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    Is this the first year sans change?
  • ridgerider
    Should it be WTP now?
    Half man, Half bike
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    This year is going to be SO much better without Bertie as the go-to guy for all the boring buggers fixated on winning!

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    This year is going to be SO much better without Bertie as the go-to guy for all the boring buggers fixated on winning!

Cancellara? :wink:
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

you hope! He might bring max 100 points in the cobbles but Bertie hoovered them up all year in GTs and week long stage races.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

you hope! He might bring max 100 points in the cobbles but Bertie hoovered them up all year in GTs and week long stage races.

True true ( I don't hope ;) though!).

The old GT bias eh?

Nah it's all good. Since I get bored at work it should be straightforward to keep it up for the whole season this time. I'm a little outrageous in that I comment on the PTP but never have the energy to keep it up for a full season.

I had a good top 12 position well into April if I remember right last season, so now's my time to stop doing a Devolder or Hoste and make it for a full season.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    calvjones wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

True true ( I don't hope ;) though!).

The old GT bias eh?

Nah it's all good. Since I get bored at work it should be straightforward to keep it up for the whole season this time. I'm a little outrageous in that I comment on the PTP but never have the energy to keep it up for a full season.

I had a good top 12 position well into April if I remember right last season, so now's my time to stop doing a Devolder or Hoste and make it for a full season.

you good at your cycling excuses as well!

:P
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Just an observation on points scoring rather than the calendar - I was thinking last year that the bias between winning the GC and individual stage wins on the smaller, week-long tours was too big. Essentially it's quite tough to consistently pick a stage winner correctly, but even if one were to get every stage right it barely added up to the GC winner's points, even though in many races the GC options were much narrower and therefore easier.

Is there any merit in upping stage win points to reflect this and keep the races more open to the end???
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • calvjones
    OT

Hey afx - saw the monkey pop up on a retweet by cyclingfansanon

Does this trump iain's Lance blackballing?

:wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • PTP....................Oh Yes!! :D

Qatar and Oman for some secret pre-season training :wink:
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Is there any chance of reintroducing the Criterium International? the move to Corsica made for a pretty decent race last season..
  • Hello PTP, Goodbye productivity!

I wouldn't miss Romandie. It's an anticlimax to a great month and its not on Eurosport, so tricky to follow.
  • greeny12 wrote:
    Just an observation on points scoring rather than the calendar - I was thinking last year that the bias between winning the GC and individual stage wins on the smaller, week-long tours was too big. Essentially it's quite tough to consistently pick a stage winner correctly, but even if one were to get every stage right it barely added up to the GC winner's points, even though in many races the GC options were much narrower and therefore easier.

Is there any merit in upping stage win points to reflect this and keep the races more open to the end???

I know what you're saying on this one, I got a lot of the stage picks right in Romandy but lost out to some of the Valverde pickers as I had Mick ROgers for the GC.

That's another point, what do we do about suspended dopers? Are we keeping it the same as last year that the result as read stands, no matter if it's changed later, as the 2010 TDF now has.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    That's another point, what do we do about suspended dopers? Are we keeping it the same as last year that the result as read stands, no matter if it's changed later, as the 2010 TDF now has.

I think The Landis Rule, as it is known, should stay, mainly because afx has enough work to do already without having to re-jig all the scores.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Absolutely. Also, surely you want the predictions to be based on perceived form and racing, i.e. what you see on the TV, rather than whether you think someone will get busted or not.

After all, what's so nice about the PTP is that it's purely about the racing - no politics.
  • Agreed, just wanted clarification.
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:
    OT

Hey afx - saw the monkey pop up on a retweet by cyclingfansanon

Does this trump iain's Lance blackballing?

:wink:

Iain got pwned in ProCycling, but I believe I've been blocked on Twitter by LA and JB. Beat that! :wink:

Re other stuff...

Women's cycling - ashamed to admit it, but I wouldn't know where to start. I just looked at the women's calendar and I don't even know which races are the big ones. I don't object in principle, but I don't know how the women's races would fit into our calender without being overshadowed by the other races. I'd like to hear what other people think about this.

Romandie / Crit Int - a couple of dissenting views on Romandie. I quite like it, but if other people aren't bothered, I don't mind. We could probably squeeze Crit Int in.

Points - Yeah I get what you're saying about stage points being too low. We could probably up them a bit, but at the same time you don't want to devalue the worth of winning a classic. There should be a gap between stage wins and one day wins (whilst at the same time keeping a parity between overall wins and classic wins).

Doping - No recalculations. It's just too complicated.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Maybe we could have a couple of women's races this year, to whet appetites-

April 3rd Tour of Flanders
    April 20th Felche Wallonne
    Aug 27th GP de Plouay

The Giro Donne's early July, but Sep 6-11 Tour of Holland perhaps for a stage race?
  • Hooray!

Erm, after last year, can we drop the Vuelta? :D