Gears slipping

Kolraz
Kolraz Posts: 47
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I just recently got into road cycling and got my first road bike (Trek 1.5). I have virtually no experience in fixing bikes or making any alterations to them myself, so I could do with all the help I can get!

Sometimes when I am out riding, the chain will randomly slip down a gear (to an easier gear) on the cassette, then jump back up again. It seems to happen more when the bike is under a greater amount of stress (like going up hills)

Does anyone know what this problem could be? The bike was brand new so I wasn't expecting to be having problems with it so early on. I'm hoping it's just a quick fix problem because I've got no experience in sorting mechanical problems with bikes.
I have only been on around 10 rides with it, but the problem seems to have persisted in a number of these rides.

Thanks very much :)

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Chances are your gear cable has stretched and needs to be adjusted. That's common with any new bike or new cables, but once adjusted it won't happen again, at least not for a while. If you bought the bike from a shop take it back since most cycle shops offer you a free check over a few weeks after buying it. If they won't tell them they suck and go to this video

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

:)
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    Thanks for the reply.

So from this video, would the solution to my problem be in adjusting the cable tension adjuster?
    I assume if my gears a slipping to an easier gear then back up I need to turn it counter clockwise to add tension?

Thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Spot on!

Best if you can do it with the bike on a workstand so you can twiddle the adjuster while you spin the pedals and operate the shifter. Failing that, with the bike upside down (put an old towel down so you don't scuff the saddle / bars / shifters.
  • Quarter of a turn at a time tops. Minor adjustments make a big difference.