Campag 11 and KMC Quick Link

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Can anyone tell me if the 11 speed KMC quick link is, in reality, reusable? I gather the guidance is (in varinace to all other 8/9/10 speed types) it's supposed to be installed and closed just the once, but has anyone tried using it like normal?

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I picked up my Athena 11 Speed the other day and a KMC Quick link, it looks exactly the same as my normal 10 speed links, just a little thinner.

When I change a chain I also change the link and carry the old ones as spares in my saddle pack, but to my mind they are reusable if you are sensible with it.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    KMC are designed to be reusable.
    SRAM are designed to be used just once.
    WE only use KMC at work and I use them on my own bikes.A couple of mine are around 4 years old and have gone from chain to chain without issue.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    @Wappygixer: to clarify - are you talking about 11 speed KMC links specifically? These are the only ones where the KMC guidance is not to reuse.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Thank you Bondurant, that is the crux of my question...
  • Wappygixer
    Bondurant wrote:
    @Wappygixer: to clarify - are you talking about 11 speed KMC links specifically? These are the only ones where the KMC guidance is not to reuse.

Well blow me, why would they go and do that.....make more money perhaps??
    SRAM are not meant to be reused but we've used them a few times.
    I cant see what weakens them.
  • fleshtuxedo
    So have you successfully reused an 11 speed KMC link then? :)
  • Wappygixer
    I've not had one in to try yet.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I am using these and I think the warning is merely to cover their arse with campagnolo.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • I'd be inclined to re-use, I've never had a KMC split link fail, but I've never used 11 speed.

I'd guess it's possible stretch could be more of an issue if it's thinner, so perhaps mileage will stretch it a bit faster than the 8/9/10 speed links? Just a thought.
  • Personally I never re-use a KMC quick link. They aren't mega-expensive so for piece of mind and to remove any possibility that an old link might fail I can't see it worth re-using. I just stick the old one in my saddle bag and normally donate it to someone with a shimano chain that has broken out on the road.
  • Personally I never re-use a KMC quick link. They aren't mega-expensive so for piece of mind and to remove any possibility that an old link might fail I can't see it worth re-using. I just stick the old one in my saddle bag and normally donate it to someone with a shimano chain that has broken out on the road.

That's a fair point, and I'd probably feel the same if I had ever experienced or witnessed a KMC link fail. But I haven't, even with repeated re-use, so I'm inclined to think they are of high enough quality. I'd certainly try it once, if only in the name of research.
    [/b]
  • After seeing 10 failures of KMC 10 speed links (one Wrote off a £800 wheel) I would recommend you only use the 11 speed ONCE.

Same goes if you split an 11 chain DO NOT re-use the pin The chain WILL fail
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • fleshtuxedo
    Thanks for the answers, think 'll play it safe for now. I'm thinking of trips abroad really - when I put my bike in a flight bag, I prefer to take the chain off to stop it trashing everything else. The 11 speed ones are £10 for 2, so maybe I'll just have to wrap the chain really securely rather than taking it off.
  • Ive refitted my bike last night and used a KMC quick link. My first thought was that it looked a bit on the weaker side and i did even um and ah about using the proper 11sp Campag pins that i have! but thought that i would try it and see.

I def woouldnt re-use it....
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Ive refitted my bike last night and used a KMC quick link. My first thought was that it looked a bit on the weaker side and i did even um and ah about using the proper 11sp Campag pins that i have! but thought that i would try it and see.

I def woouldnt re-use it....

Out of interest, did you need to use a connecting tool or did you connect it by hand?
  • just push together and pull on the chain! to undo use pliars in the end of the link.
  • you fellas. this KMC link. Did you use it with a KMC chain or the 11sp Campag chain?

I just mashed up a KMC chain. now wondering whether to stick the campag chain on. KMC connect it or an 11sp chain tool?
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    you fellas. this KMC link. Did you use it with a KMC chain or the 11sp Campag chain?

I just mashed up a KMC chain. now wondering whether to stick the campag chain on. KMC connect it or an 11sp chain tool?

Yep, Chorus chain KMC link. No worries.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.