Crashed Ice

Comments

• Thats pretty awesome.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Never seen it before Ski Sunday yesterday.

10 years it's been around - well so they said.

M E N T A L

And I'd be rubbish - I fall on me ar$e at the winter wonderland rink...

4 x skating awsome.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    that looks absolutely brilliant.
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    I'm guessing this is the first year red bull has sponsored it? Probably why no one has ever heard of it before, even though its been around for 10 years.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    This is possiby one of the best things ever, after a few slightly more awesome things.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I need to have a go at that! :D
  • Anonymous
    Bit of randomm trivia for you.
    Did you know that the guy responsible for Boardercross is also responsible for the snowboard supercross (SSX) games for the Playstation2?
    He wanted to use the game to popularise the fledgling sport, apparently!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    4x on ice. i like it
  • toby_winkler
    Did you know that the guy responsible for Boardercross is also responsible for the snowboard supercross (SSX) games for the Playstation2?
    He wanted to use the game to popularise the fledgling sport, apparently!

No I didn't.

Learn something new everyday don't you.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I'm SURE I something on this a few years back, one one of (or the) extreme sports channel... Looks like fun either way. :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    jay12 wrote:
    4x on ice. i like it

bordercross is even better imo, not had a go myself, seeing as there's no courses in the midlands, but id love to give it a go :D
  • What does impress me is just how quickly the skaters recover from falling, even while still sliding.
    Some top skating there and it does deserve Olympic status
  • toby_winkler
    Definitely deserves Olympic status, with the likes of the ski cross thingy being added it could actually have a chance.

Would be nice to see a track with a few proper jumps, tabletops etc.. Would be proper carnage then :twisted:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Anyone up for sneaking onto the course with schwalbe ice spiker pros on?

Ice4x??????
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    awesome! not as good as boarder cross though... that's epic to watch, an if I was any better than a total beginer is love to try it... the highlight of the winter Olympics imo.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Ski cross is way better than boarder cross ;)
  • Anonymous
    Skiing has always looked ungraceful to me, it's all arms and legs waving all over the place. Bit it is generally more chaotic than BX, yeah.
    I hope one day they'll start scaling it up to SSX levels of crazy :D
  • Skiing has always looked ungraceful to me, it's all arms and legs waving all over the place. Bit it is generally more chaotic than BX, yeah.
    I hope one day they'll start scaling it up to SSX levels of crazy :D

Skier cross is definitely more chaotic, which certainly makes it more entertaining to watch.

As for SSX levels of crazy, is that even possible? :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Well, I did say "start" scaling it up. I never suggested they go the whole way, with 300 foot cliff drops and stuff :lol:

I think it would be awesome on a bigger scale though. Combine racing with a slopestyle event.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Hmm, looks fantastic, but I'm thinking you may as well just break my legs and be done with it :D Something like that for me is never going to end well
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Well, I did say "start" scaling it up. I never suggested they go the whole way, with 300 foot cliff drops and stuff :lol:

I think it would be awesome on a bigger scale though. Combine racing with a slopestyle event.

Nah they should just mtfu and go for the 300ft cliff drops ;)

Ski cross slopestyle racing does sound interesting though, like racing but you get points for tricks etc as well. Could also be done on a board or skates, if such a thing as tricks on skates exists that is!
  • Anonymous
    Well, tricks on rollerblades are definitely do-able. I can't see why, other than the general lack of jumps, it can't be done on ice skates
  • Right so the only solution to this is for someone to build either an ice skate park, or a series of ice jumps with a massive roll in, and then let someone loose one some ice skates and see what they can do.
  • It was on one of the rush/ extreme type channels early last year a few times. I think it was sponsored by red bull then and was done going through some major cities.

Awesome stuff. Ski cross is one of my fave winter sports. I'd love to give it a go 8)
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Right so the only solution to this is for someone to build either an ice skate park, or a series of ice jumps with a massive roll in, and then let someone loose one some ice skates and see what they can do.

Ice is harder than concrete and when fresh it can cause a nasty ice rash
    As an ex hockey player and experienced skater I wouldn't risk my limbs and health tackling tabletops and killer jumps on skates.
  • Anonymous
    Is Ice really harder?
    I never understood why it hurt more to crash on ice skates than on rollerblades!
    Common sense seems to suggest concrete would hurt more, because it's abrasive!
  • Common sense seems to suggest concrete would hurt more, because it's abrasive!
    that sounds about right tbh
  • Is Ice really harder?
    I never understood why it hurt more to crash on ice skates than on rollerblades!
    Common sense seems to suggest concrete would hurt more, because it's abrasive!

From experience, the cold also makes things hurt a little more

The compressive strength of ice usually assumed to be between 100 psi and 400 psi.
    The compressive strength of laid slab concrete is usually 100 psi, structural concrete starts at 2500 psi to 3000 psi, but that holds bridges and skyscrapers up!
  • Anonymous
    I never knew that. But I have definitely wondered why smashing into an ice rink hurt so much more than seemingly anything else!