Headset help ( Ebay carbon frame content. )

tony620
tony620 Posts: 194
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Got 1 of them ebay mtb frame's and am struggling to decide which headset fits...

The top cup has only a 3mm cup/bearing depth untill it hits the angle and the bottom cup has 8mm untill it hits the angle. The ID of the cup is 41.8 can does anyone have any idea which headset would fit from what i worked out it seems to be a road headset but the campag 1's are various sizes...

heres a pic of the top and bottom .

p1010108qj.th.jpg
p1010108qj.jpg
Shot at 2011-01-31

Bottom
p1010109l.th.jpg
p1010109l.jpg
Shot at 2011-01-31

any help appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look like integrated.

Park have the standards on their site read up and measure.

but it looks like they have had issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    looked on there seems to be 2 which are possible. the campag hiddenset or the IS bit of a pain ordered 1 online already which is wrong... so just trying to figure which 1 to order next.
  • nicklouse
    TBH get it to a bike shop for checking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Did you ever find out which type fits? I have just brought the same frame and have also run in to difficulties finding the correct type.

I have measured mine with a vernier caliper and came up with dimensions as follows

Top cup - 41.8x3mm
    Bottom cup - 41.8x6.5mm

Both with 45 deg internal angles.

I am almost certain that it is the Integrated type (as opposed to the semi-integrated). According to the Crane Creek headset finder it should be the Campagnolo standard, which in my eyes is a very strange choice for a MTB. It mystifies me that there are so many different types and standards for such a relatively simple thing.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tried emailing the seller?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Did you ever find out which type fits? I have just brought the same frame and have also run in to difficulties finding the correct type.

I have measured mine with a vernier caliper and came up with dimensions as follows

Top cup - 41.8x3mm
    Bottom cup - 41.8x6.5mm

Both with 45 deg internal angles.

I am almost certain that it is the Integrated type (as opposed to the semi-integrated). According to the Crane Creek headset finder it should be the Campagnolo standard, which in my eyes is a very strange choice for a MTB. It mystifies me that there are so many different types and standards for such a relatively simple thing.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

sounds like a Campagnolo version.
  • Thanks all for your help. Will let you know how I get on.
  • my old carbon hardtail which was very the same as the current carbon frames but older tech, had a semi integrated headset, when i got it (used) it had headset cups in which took some testing of old bearings, but found out in the end they were the Old headset cups! used an fsa semi integrated headset,
    if the seller cant help take the frame to a good lbs!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481