New series of Red Dwarf being filmed - should they?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
It's being shot this year for broadcast in 2012. But should they even bother? The last 3 have been fairly appalling. I hope that they can get it right again this time.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    hmmm, I think they are genuinely running out of realistic (relatively) things to do now!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Should've canned it after Rimmer left at the end of series 6.
  • No. Time to move on with something new. It's had it's day, a bit like Top Gear...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited January 2011
    No the Kochanski & prison series were pretty poor fare. It went off the boil when Rob Grant and Doug Naylor split.

Let it lie
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I never got on with the whole thing, the pluses of Chris Barrie and Danny John Jules' character were totally cancelled out by the insufferable Craig Charles for me, oh and I hate "sci-fi"
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    NO, it's been too long, the idea has dated badly and 'updating' it with CGI and special effects ruins what made it funny in the first place.

I am a massive Red Dwarf fan but I don't want to see any more. It's like the 4th Indiana Jones or John Rambo or Terminator Salvation - trying to make money from past glories but the problem is, these franchises made money in the past but that does not automatically mean they can now. There is a major difference between a cult following and market appeal.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    No; they should have stopped after series 3.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    Absolutely not! What is it with TV production companies and writers digging up classics and ruining them for future generations? Surely there must be some creative souls left in TV world? If not, how about running an x-factor type competition for screen writers? :wink:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    No. It was a great series, but they already carried it on longer than they should have done.

I still have a couple of the best early seasons on VHS in a box somewhere in my loft...shame I haven't got a VHS player anymore!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • noski thankski veryski muchski budski! :-)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Sounds like we have a first - a topic where everyone is in agreement! :shock:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    After the comecack episodes definite 'no'. It's tantamount to redoing Faulty Towers with a modern theme.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Bunneh wrote:
    It's tantamount to redoing Faulty Towers with a modern theme.

Shhh..don't be giving them any more ideas.
  • finchy
    So nobody wants it, but will you watch it? I think curiosity will get the better of me, even though I'm not expecting much.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    re-cycles wrote:
    Absolutely not! What is it with TV production companies and writers digging up classics and ruining them for future generations? Surely there must be some creative souls left in TV world? If not, how about running an x-factor type competition for screen writers? :wink:

You oldies don't realise the yung'un's already have seen all the old shows on re-run channels like UKTV Gold or Dave.

And all of you should realise Red Dwarf was NEVER FUNNY.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    re-cycles wrote:

You oldies don't realise the yung'un's already have seen all the old shows on re-run channels like UKTV Gold or Dave.

I preferred Teagear, this bloke has a bit of an attitude, I will complain, say I wont watch it, watch it and complain again.
  • finchy

You like being wrong, don't you? :P
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    johnfinch wrote:

You like being wrong, don't you? :P

Dwain Dibbly!
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.