fork advice for Marin Mount Vision

snapper52
snapper52 Posts: 34
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

I have a 2008 Marin Mount Vision 5.7 frame onto which I added Deore chainset, XT front changer, Avid Elixir 5 brakes, XT Shadow changer, 8 speed cassette and shifters, low rise FSA carbon wrap bars with 80mm stem, FSA carbon wrap seat post and Charger Spoon saddle. The forks are Fox F80 RLT 2006 -7.

I ride Moray Monster trails mainly. Occasionally going to Laggan Wolftrax (Red) and some of the Aberdeenshire routes.

What I would like to know is whether I would find much of a difference if I were to swap forks for 120mm travel, and would it be worth my while changing to this travel in say a Rochshox, or whether the quality of the Fox forks makes up for the lack of travel?

I bought these forks originally for my first bike which was a Giant Rainier and what a difference thay made over the Suntours that came with the bike.

Any advice/help/suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    am i right in thinking they are 80mm travel?
    if thats the case i'm sure your bike is a 120mm designed frame? so to answer your question, Yes it would make a massive difference!

*edit*
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 7-09-34207
    break out the credit card and start hunting down a nice set of 120mm forks!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It was designed for 120mm,so probably would be better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the replies so far. In what way would I notice a difference, and would a less expensive fork of 120mm travel offer the same level of suspension as the Fox, which has 80mm travel, as you correctly assume.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be honest, the mount vision is a tough old bird. I can;t imagine having any frame issues with even a 140mm fork, but it would slow down your steering on very tight twisty trails a little.

As for Fox V Rockshox, it's a matter of personal taste. They both make fantastic trail forks, but have a somewhat different "feel" to them.
    From my rather patchy experience (I've tried a few out from each manufacturer, but not side by side, or often from the same model year), the Fox tend to have a progressive feel to them, such that they get stiffer as you get through the travel. Whereas the Rockshox tend to be far more linear.

For my kind of riding, hitting everything as fast and hard as possible, I find Rockshox to be a little too prone to bottoming out.
    But, for general riding, they do seem a little plusher than the fox over very small bumps. The differences are pretty damned small though.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    your 80mm you have at the moment will make your head angle very steep and make your steering feel very twitchy. 120mm will sort this out.
    as manufactures and prices, obviously you get what you pay for, but get something your comftable paying.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Many thanks for responses. I think I'll have a look at getting replacement 120mm forks, maybe try to swap for my Fox 80RLT ones.
    cheers.