How often should you change brake pads?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Do brake pads have a life span? or do you just change them when you think they need it?

how often do people generally need to change theirs?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• When they run out of pad!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Even then not 100% urgent, you will just start wearing your brake disks down!

I have often burnt half way through the back plate before spotting
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    cavegiant wrote:
    Even then not 100% urgent, you will just start wearing your brake disks down!

I have often burnt half way through the back plate before spotting

What on Earth are you on about AGAIN. That's just guff - how could you not have noticed - it makes a horrid noise, gives shocking performance and the spring often gets all twisted up and drags someway.
  • cavegiant
    Have you ever considered the fact that your bike is not identical to everyone else's, therefore there may be a difference in experiences?

I use formula one brakes, the performance is still spot on braking backing plate on disk. The only key indication is when the spring starts hitting the disk, that is audible.

I would still recommend changing as soon as possible as you will wear the disk.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cavegiant wrote:
    Have you ever considered the fact that your bike is not identical to everyone else's, therefore there may be a difference in experiences?

I use formula one brakes, the performance is still spot on braking backing plate on disk. The only key indication is when the spring starts hitting the disk, that is audible.

I would still recommend changing as soon as possible as you will wear the disk.
    Tbh the indication is when you look at the pads before each ride to see how far worn they are, it takes ten seconds and can save you a lot of bother down the road.
  • Normally the occasional inspection (pre ride etc) is sufficient to be safe - take the wheel out and have a little look. If its getting close to the back plate, time to change.

Only once have I killed a pair of pads in a ride and that was a particulary horrible day at a december kona mashup at afan (I think i must have not bedded the pads in well enough either), but i was soon aware of the horrible mettalic squealing/gringing noise coming from my brakes!!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Tbh the indication is when you look at the pads before each ride to see how far worn they are, it takes ten seconds and can save you a lot of bother down the road.

This.

Well not every ride, that'd be OCD; but yeah, keep some spares and swap them when necessary.
  • I check my pads before every ride....

Also check all my bolts are not lose and that my calipers a centered.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

The spring hits the disc before the backing pad, to be braking on the backing you first have to go right through the spring. If you can do this unaware, I worry about you and suggest you shouldn't be allowed to own a nice bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As it's impossible not to look at the pads when fitting the wheel (well disc in between pads bit) it's easy to spot when the pads are getting low!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cavegiant
    "I worry about you and suggest you shouldn't be allowed to own a nice bike."

There is a lot of truth to that.

The spring doesn't always 'ting', I swap as soon as I hear it (or if I spot they are worn). I just get lazy checking as it is months and month and months between swaps. Been a few times that the spring has been ground down completely before I spot.

Not sure what my point was....probably swap the pads when they are completely dead, do not just swap when getting worn as it is not critical when they fail, so do not cut a ride short or throw money away.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pads worn down to almost nothing -> replace.

End of.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    What do we consider to be 'almost nothing' ?

I once had some Shimano pads that were probably only 1.5mm to start with and aftermarket pads are not exactly overburdened with friction material :?

Motorcycle pads have a wear indicator - a groove in the pads - but I haven't used any MTB pads like this.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Eyes, look at pads, looks like there's a mm or two left, better replace.

No need for an indicator, you can see where the pad ends and the metal begins.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Pads worn down to almost nothing -> replace.

End of.

Mine in the Hemlock are at almost nothing but that'll last a few rides yet. Got to get every penny out of my £5 Superstar pads :lol: Worth replacing early if you've got a big ride or event on though of course.

(remember just because you've taken a set of pads out doesn't mean they have to go in the bin, I've got about 4 sets of worn down spares that can go back in later if I run out.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i sell all my old pads to mice. they use them as chopping boards and one mouse found that if she put a candle under a used pad it made a great little hob for cooking tiny ickle mouse meals. not only am i helping the enviroment but im also giving mice a means to prepare hot meals.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cavegiant
    =-)