Bigger shoes for a warmer winter??

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi people,

Wonder if I can have your opinion on shoes for winter and imparticular, sizing.

I currently use Shimano R076 shoes, size 45 which are quite tight but allow one pair of socks.

Over the last months rides I've been using overshoes as well, but feet are getting cold - tried a second pair of socks, also taping up the vents and my feet are not getting warmer and infact after yesterdays ride by big toes are getting pinch marks on them.

I also have a set of tri specific shimano shoes in a 45 , but these are slightly wider an of course are mostly used sockless - so are fine (in the summer)

My question is - shoe I be looking to get a pair of 46 Shimano road shoes to be using on colder days to allow extra space for socks and also trapped air ro keep warm?

Your thoughs would be greatly appreciated,

Ta,

Dru.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    definitely go for a bigger size rather than smaller. No point in having thick socks if it cuts off your circulation.

I ride in MTB shoes in winter - theyre a bit more insulated than normal cycling shoes and they were cheap too.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I quite like Shimano shoes because they have a narrow last which suit my feet - that said, they also come up a bit small. I usually take a 47, but if I want to wear thick socks for winter I get a 48, and might even consider a 49 if they came that big, and if I felt I needed an extra pair of socks.

I like their touring-style MT60 shoes since I do a lot of extended touring, but they only go to a size 48

So, yes, if you like the shoes in general - go up a size for winter. It'll make a big difference.

I have two pair - a winter one and a summer one.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Generally a pair of summer shoes and a pair of winter boots. Most manufacturers make a full on waterproof high ankled boot. Get it a size larger and some thick merino socks and you should be fine. Remember to tape up the cleat holes though!!!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I find having extra room for a decent thickness footbed helps too - I have a pair of Sidi Diablos which have been great for 5 plus hours at zero degrees with Woolie Boolies whereas a regular road shoe and neoprene overshoe combo starts getting chilly after a couple of hours
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Dru wrote:
    Hi people,

Wonder if I can have your opinion on shoes for winter and imparticular, sizing.

I currently use Shimano R076 shoes, size 45 which are quite tight but allow one pair of socks.

Over the last months rides I've been using overshoes as well, but feet are getting cold - tried a second pair of socks, also taping up the vents and my feet are not getting warmer and infact after yesterdays ride by big toes are getting pinch marks on them.

I also have a set of tri specific shimano shoes in a 45 , but these are slightly wider an of course are mostly used sockless - so are fine (in the summer)

My question is - shoe I be looking to get a pair of 46 Shimano road shoes to be using on colder days to allow extra space for socks and also trapped air ro keep warm?

Your thoughs would be greatly appreciated,

Ta,

Dru.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is essential for warmth, you only need one pair of decent socks ie woolie boolies
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Thanks everyone.

Size 46's ordered :) (Great sale price as well at JE James :)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Definatly use a bigger shoe in winter for the extra space needed. I use MTB shoes as well as they are easier to walk in and are better protected against the elements.