Graeme Obree: Legend

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited March 2014 in Pro race
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/graeme-obree-reveals-he-is-gay-29111
Really happy for Obree that finally he can live the life he feels is right for him, after so many years of unhappiness. One of my best friends denied his sexuality for years with similar effects and since coming out lives a much happier life. Good on you Graeme, you were, are and always will be a legend.

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I just read that in a newspaper an hour ago and thought - wow, that explains a lot of the problems he's had over the years. To feel forced to lie to everybody including himself, that's some pressure.

I hope he can find happiness now and put his troubles behind him.
  • Still superman.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hopefully this will encourage other people in a similar situation to come out rather than suffer what he has. Seen it first hand and it's not nice.
  • does not matter a jot , - what a great cyclist and roll on the day when people take no notice at all :o
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    All the best to the fella. Really makes no difference wherher he is gay or not.

This really shouldn't be something people hide especially.

Superman!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Agree 1OO% with you all. would be lovely to one day live in a world, a country even, where people didn't have to hide their true selves for fear of being judged, discriminated against and having to worry about violent morons attacking them. Hope Graeme Obree finds real happiness and enjoys his life to the full.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Boardman sent him a really nice message on Twitter today. Class all round. Best wishes to Graeme.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Nothing else to say except I'll second everything said above- I wish him every blessing for the future, he's an inspiration.
    Isn't he the most prominent cyclist to come out?
  • i remember coming across 'the bike' - his actual bike in the glasgow motor museum - which i didnt know was there. Very interesting story of his which doesnt really put the UCI in a good light but no change there.
    '
    all the best to him, i hope it 'settles his mind' for the rest of his life
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/m ... uganda-gay

Completely missed him coming out back in 2011. Good on him of course. Hope he's a happier man as a result.